Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:BMI (body mass index), CVD (cardiovascular disease), DFTJ (Dongfeng-Tongji cohort), FBG (fasting blood glucose), HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c), NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), NIH (National Institutes of Health)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, Ninth edition 2019.https://diabetesatlas.org/upload/resources/material/20200302_133351_IDFATLAS9e-final-web.pdfDate accessed: July 21, 2021
- Global aetiology and epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus and its complications.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 88-98
- Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes, 2018. A consensus report by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 2669-2701
Wing RR, Bolin P, Brancati FL, et al. Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2013;369(2):145-154. Published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 2014;370(19):1866.
- Impact of intensive lifestyle intervention on disability-free life expectancy: the Look AHEAD study.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 1040-1048
- Heterogeneity of treatment effects from an intensive lifestyle weight loss intervention on cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes: data from the Look AHEAD trial.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 1988-1994
- Association of the magnitude of weight loss and changes in physical fitness with long-term cardiovascular disease outcomes in overweight or obese people with type 2 diabetes: a post-hoc analysis of the Look AHEAD randomised clinical trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 913-921
- Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 383-393
- Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 580-591
- Combined lifestyle factors and risk of incident type 2 diabetes and prognosis among individuals with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Diabetologia. 2020; 63: 21-33
- Impact of lifestyle-related factors on all-cause and cause-specific mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes: the Taichung Diabetes Study.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 105-112
- Impact of combined healthy lifestyle factors on survival in an adult general population and in high-risk groups: prospective results from the Moli-sani Study.J Intern Med. 2019; 286: 207-220
- Population-attributable fractions of modifiable lifestyle factors for CKD and mortality in individuals with type 2 diabetes: a cohort study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2016; 68: 29-40
- Influence of lifestyle on incident cardiovascular disease and mortality in patients with diabetes mellitus.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2867-2876
- Healthy behavior change and cardiovascular outcomes in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients: a cohort analysis of the ADDITION-Cambridge study.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1712-1720
- Lifestyle, glycosylated hemoglobin A1c, and survival among patients with stable ischemic heart disease and diabetes.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 2049-2058
- Adherence to healthy lifestyle factors and risk of death in men with diabetes mellitus: the Physicians' Health Study.Clin Nutr. 2018; 37: 139-143
- Cohort profile: the Dongfeng-Tongji cohort study of retired workers.Int J Epidemiol. 2013; 42: 731-740
- Ideal cardiovascular health metrics and the risks of ischemic and intracerebral hemorrhagic stroke.Stroke. 2013; 44: 2451-2456
- UK biobank: an open access resource for identifying the causes of a wide range of complex diseases of middle and old age.PLoS Med. 2015; 12e1001779
- About the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/about_nhanes.htmDate accessed: June 12, 2021
- Design and serendipity in establishing a large cohort with wide dietary intake distributions: the National Institutes of Health–American Association of Retired Persons Diet and Health Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 154: 1119-1125
- 2. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S14-S31
- Wine, beer or spirit drinking in relation to fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular events: a meta-analysis.Eur J Epidemiol. 2011; 26: 833-850
- Do "moderate" drinkers have reduced mortality risk? A systematic review and meta-analysis of alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality.J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2016; 77: 185-198
- US Department of Agriculture, US Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025.https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/Dietary_Guidelines_for_Americans_2020-2025.pdfDate accessed: December 9, 2021
- Lifestyle factors and mortality among adults with diabetes: findings from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition–Potsdam study.J Diabetes. 2010; 2: 112-117
- Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction: the American Heart Association's strategic Impact Goal through 2020 and beyond.Circulation. 2010; 121: 586-613
- Associations of healthy lifestyle and socioeconomic status with mortality and incident cardiovascular disease: two prospective cohort studies.BMJ. 2021; 373: n604
- Prediagnostic lifestyle factors and survival after colon and rectal cancer diagnosis in the National Institutes of Health (NIH)–AARP Diet and Health Study.Cancer. 2014; 120: 1540-1547
- Genetic risk, a healthy lifestyle, and type 2 diabetes: the Dongfeng-Tongji cohort study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020; 105: dgz325
Carnethon MR, De Chavez PJ, Biggs ML, et al. Association of weight status with mortality in adults with incident diabetes. JAMA. 2012;308(6):581-590. Published correction appears in JAMA. 2012;308(20):2085.
- Relation between body mass index, waist circumference, and cardiovascular outcomes in 19,579 diabetic patients with established vascular disease: the REACH Registry.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2012; 19: 241-249
Pan XF, Wang L, Pan A. Epidemiology and determinants of obesity in China. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2021;9(6):373-392. Published correction appears in Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2021;9(7):e2.
- Waist circumference and waist-hip ratio: report of a WHO expert consultation, Geneva, 8-11 December 2008.https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/44583Date accessed: June 6, 2021
- Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic: report of a WHO consultation.https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/42330Date accessed: July 21, 2021
- 12. Older adults: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S152-S162
- 6. Glycemic targets: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S66-S76
- Chapter 10: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses.https://training.cochrane.org/handbook/current/chapter-10#section-10-11-4Date accessed: July 20, 2022
GBD Alcohol Collaborators. Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet. 2018;392(10152):1015-1035. Published corrections appear in Lancet. 2018;392(10153):1116 and Lancet. 2019;393(10190):e44.
- Multiple imputation using SAS software.J Stat Softw. 2011; 45: 1-25
- Combined lifestyle factors, all-cause mortality and cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2021; 75: 92-99
- Combined lifestyle factors, incident cancer, and cancer mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Br J Cancer. 2020; 122: 1085-1093
- Pharmacological and lifestyle interventions to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2007; 334: 299
- Lifestyle interventions for patients with and at risk for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 543-551
- Impact of combined lifestyle factors on all-cause and cause-specific mortality and life expectancy in Chinese: the Singapore Chinese Health Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2020; 75: 2193-2199
For editorial comment, see page 11
Grant Support: This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81930124, 82021005, and 82073554), Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (2021GCRC075 and 2021GCRC076), Hubei Province Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars (2021CFA048), and China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2021M691129).