Participants and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:IWPR (impact of work on personal relationships), OR (odds ratio), PARS (Patient Advocacy Reporting System), PFI (Professional Fulfillment Index)
Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD).
Participants and Methods
Participants and Study Design
Evaluation of Professional Fulfillment and Dimensions of Personal and Occupational Distress
Impact of Work on Personal Relationships
Patient Advocacy Reporting System Scores Based on Unsolicited Patient Complaints
- McKinney W.
- Reback J.
- McKinney W.
- et al.
|“In the past year my job has…”||Not at all true||Somewhat true||Moderately true||Very true||Completely true|
|Made it harder for me to nurture existing personal relationships||160/480 (33.3)||156/480 (32.5)||87/480 (18.1)||57/480 (11.9)||20/480 (4.2)|
|Made it harder for me develop new meaningful personal relationships||162/478 (33.9)||108/478 (22.6)||90/478 (18.8)||82/478 (17.2)||36/478 (7.5)|
|Contributed to conflict in my personal relationship(s)||223/481 (46.4)||137/481 (28.5)||57/481 (11.9)||44/481 (9.1)||20/481 (4.2)|
|Contributed to me feeling more isolated or detached from the people who are most important to me||228/478 (47.7)||134/478 (28.0)||62/478 (13.0)||36/478 (7.5)||18/478 (3.8)|
|Responses||Mean ± SD|
|Minimum value (%)||Maximum value (%)||Median (IQR)||Spearman Correlation with Scale Score|
|“In the past year my job has…”|
|Made it harder for me to nurture existing personal relationships||3.03±2.88||0.0 (32.9)||10.0 (4.1)||2.5.0 (0.0 to 5.0)||0.92|
|Made it harder for me develop new meaningful personal relationships||3.55±3.28||0.0 (33.3)||10.0 (7.4)||2.5 (0.0 to 5.0)||0.89|
|Contributed to conflict in my personal relationship(s)||2.41±2.88||0.0 (45.8)||10.0 (4.1)||2.5 (0.0 to 5.0)||0.81|
|Contributed to me feeling more isolated or detached from the people who are most important to me||2.29±2.79||0.0 (46.8)||10.0 (3.7)||2.5 (0.0 to 2.5)||0.84|
|Impact of Work on Personal Relationships||2.81±2.61||0.0 (22.6)||10.0 (2.3)||2.5 (0.63 to 4.38)||N/A|
|Adverse IPWR Quartile||PARS Score||Burnout||Professional Fulfillment|
|Odds ratio for each 1-point increase of adverse impact of work on relationship scale (95% CI)||P|
|Unadjusted model||1.19 (1.07-1.33)||.002|
|Adjusted for specialty and gender||1.19 (1.07-1.33)||.002|
|Adjusted for specialty, gender, and interpersonal disengagement score||1.16 (1.02-1.31)||.02|
|Adjusted for specialty, gender, and work exhaustion||1.17 (1.02-1.35)||.03|
|Adjusted for specialty, gender, and overall burnout score||1.16 (1.00-1.33)||.02|
|Adjusted for specialty, gender, and sleep-related impairment||1.16 (1.03-1.31)||.02|
|Adjusted for specialty, gender, and professional fulfillment||1.14 (1.01-1.29)||.03|
- Shauman K.
- Howell L.P.
- Paterniti D.A.
- Beckett L.A.
- Villablanca A.C.
- Tucker P.
- Bejerot E.
- Kecklund G.
- Aronsson G.
- Åkerstedt T.
Potential Competing Interests
Supplemental Online Material
- Supplemental Tables 1-9
- https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/cms/asset/e736909c-65c6-44cf-82f8-a8d67e631760/mmc2.mp4Loading ...
- “Physician Wellness” as Published in Academic Psychiatry.Acad Psychiatry. 2017; 41: 155-158
- The personal and professional consequences of physician burnout: a systematic review of the literature.Med Care Res Rev. 2020; 77: 371-386
- Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD).
- Association of resident fatigue and distress with occupational blood and body fluid exposures and motor vehicle incidents.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 1138-1144
- Beyond substance abuse: stress, burnout, and depression as causes of physician impairment and disruptive behavior.J Am Coll Radiol. 2009; 6: 479-485
- Special report: suicidal ideation among American surgeons.Arch Surg. 2011; 146: 54-62
- Suicidal thoughts among medical residents with burnout.Arch Suicide Res. 2008; 12: 344-346
- Burnout and psychiatric morbidity among physicians engaged in end-of-life care for cancer patients: a cross-sectional nationwide survey in Japan.Psychooncology. 2007; 16: 421-428
- Burnout-depression overlap: a review.Clin Psychol Rev. 2015; 36: 28-41
- The well-being of physicians.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 513-519
- Assessment of physician sleep and wellness, burnout, and clinically significant medical errors.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2028111
- Association of occupational distress and sleep-related impairment in physicians with unsolicited patient complaints.Mayo Clin Proc. 2020; 95: 719-726
- Burnout and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective study of apparently healthy employed persons.Psychosom Med. 2006; 68: 863-869
- Burnout and risk of cardiovascular disease: evidence, possible causal paths, and promising research directions.Psychol Bull. 2006; 132: 327-353
- Burnout and risk of coronary heart disease: a prospective study of 8838 employees.Psychosom Med. 2012; 74: 840-847
- Association of resident fatigue and distress with perceived medical errors.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1294-1300
- Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 995-1000
- Burnout and perceived quality of care among German clinicians in surgery.Int J Qual Health Care. 2010; 22: 525-530
- Linking physician burnout and patient outcomes: exploring the dyadic relationship between physicians and patients.Health Care Manage Rev. 2008; 33: 29-39
- Estimating institutional physician turnover attributable to self-reported burnout and associated financial burden: a case study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 851
- Estimating the attributable cost of physician burnout in the United States.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 170: 784-790
- The business case for investing in physician well-being.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1826-1832
- How does burnout affect physician productivity? A systematic literature review.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 325
- Longitudinal study evaluating the association between physician burnout and changes in professional work effort.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 422-431
- Physician burnout: a potential threat to successful health care reform.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2009-2010
- Why do surgeons consider leaving practice?.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 212: 421-422
- Quality of life during orthopaedic training and academic practice: part 2: spouses and significant others.J Bone Joint Surg. 2012; 94: e145
- Relationship of work-family conflict with burnout and marital satisfaction: cross-domain or source attribution relations?.Health Promot Perspect. 2016; 6: 31-36
- Transplant surgeon burnout and marital distress in the sandwich generation: the call for organizational support in family life.Transplant Proc. 2018; 50: 2899-2904
- Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1377-1385
- Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life integration in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2017.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1681-1694
- A survey of U.S. physicians and their partners regarding the impact of work-home conflict.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 155-161
- Relationship between work-home conflicts and burnout among American surgeons: a comparison by sex.Arch Surg. 2011; 146: 211-217
- Work-home conflicts have a substantial impact on career decisions that affect the adequacy of the surgical workforce.Arch Surg. 2012; 147: 933-939
- Work/home conflict and burnout among academic internal medicine physicians.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1207-1209
- The medical marriage: a national survey of the spouses/partners of US physicians.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 216-225
- Patient complaints and adverse surgical outcomes.Am J Med Qual. 2016; 31: 415-422
- Patient complaints and malpractice risk.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2951-2957
- Use of unsolicited patient observations to identify surgeons with increased risk for postoperative complications.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 522-529
- A brief instrument to assess both burnout and professional fulfillment in physicians: reliability and validity, including correlation with self-reported medical errors, in a sample of resident and practicing physicians.Acad Psychiatry. 2018; 42: 11-24
Brady KJS, Ni P, Carlasare L, et al. Establishing crosswalks between common measures of burnout in US physicians. J Gen Intern Med. 37(4):777-784.
- Association of physician burnout with suicidal ideation and medical errors.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2028780
- Item banks for measuring emotional distress from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS®): depression, anxiety, and anger.Assessment. 2011; 18: 263-283
- Validation of the depression item bank from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) in a three-month observational study.J Psychiatr Res. 2014; 56: 112-119
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005–2008.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1179-1194
- An intervention model that promotes accountability: peer messengers and patient/family complaints.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2013; 39 (AP8): 435
- Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives.Struct Equation Model Multidiscip J. 1999; 6: 1-55
- lavaan: an R package for structural equation modeling.J Stat Software. 2012; 48
- LISREL 11: Structural Equation Modeling.Scientific Software International, Inc, 2021
- Data Structures for Statistical Computing in Python.2010: 56-61https://doi.org/10.25080/Majora-92bf1922-00a
- Pandas-Dev/Pandas: Pandas 1.4.0rc0.2022https://doi.org/10.5281/ZENODO.3509134 (Zenodo)
- SciPy 1.0: fundamental algorithms for scientific computing in Python.Nat Methods. 2020; 17: 261-272
- Effect of medical scribes on throughput, revenue, and patient and provider satisfaction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Emerg Med. 2021; 77: 180-189
- Effect of organization-directed workplace interventions on physician burnout: a systematic review.Mayo Clin Proc Innov Qual Outcomes. 2019; 3: 384-408
- In search of joy in practice: a report of 23 high-functioning primary care practices.Ann Fam Med. 2013; 11: 272-278
- The future of medical scribes documenting in the electronic health record: results of an expert consensus conference.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2021; 21: 204
- A time for change: an exploration of attitudes toward part-time work in academia among women internists and their division chiefs.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 80-86
- Barriers to career flexibility in academic medicine: a qualitative analysis of reasons for the underutilization of family-friendly policies, and implications for institutional change and department chair leadership.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 246-255
- Paid family and childbearing leave policies at top US medical schools.JAMA. 2018; 319: 611-614
- Part-time physicians...prevalent, connected, and satisfied.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 300-303
- The impact of work time control on physicians’ sleep and well-being.Appl Ergon. 2015; 47: 109-116https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2014.09.001
- An integrated career coaching and time-banking system promoting flexibility, wellness, and success: a pilot program at Stanford University School of Medicine.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 881-887
- Attachment, sleep quality, and depressed affect.Health Psychol. 2005; 24: 526-531
- Brain mechanisms underlying the impact of attachment-related stress on social cognition.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 816
- Perceived social isolation and cognition.Trends Cogn Sci. 2009; 13: 447-454
- Physician distress and burnout: the neurobiological perspective.Mayo Clin Proc. 2021; 96: 763-769
- Evidence relating health care provider burnout and quality of care: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 171: 555-567
Grant Support: This work was supported by the Stanford WellMD-WellPhD Center.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy