Abbreviations and Acronyms:CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), NPI (National Provider Identifier), PUF (Public Use File), rACTH (repository corticotropin)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The National Health Expenditure Accounts Team. National health care spending in 2016: spending and enrollment growth slow after initial coverage expansions.Health Aff (Millwood). 2018; 37: 150-160
- Regulatory and cost barriers are likely to limit biosimilar development and expected savings in the near future.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1048-1057
- Accessed March 5, 2021)
- Health policy brief: specialty pharmaceuticals.Health Affairs. November 25, 2013;
- Trends in FDA approval of specialty drugs 1990 through 2017.Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Assessment of expected out-of-pocket spending for rheumatoid arthritis biologics among patients enrolled in Medicare Part D, 2010-2019.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e203969
- Physicians and the pharmaceutical industry: is a gift ever just a gift?.JAMA. 2000; 283: 373-380
- Lack of head-to-head trials and fair control arms: randomized controlled trials of biologic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 237-244
- Biologic agents in rheumatology: unmet issues after 200 trials and $200 billion sales.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2013; 9: 665-673
- Ethical challenges in rheumatology: a survey of the American College of Rheumatology membership.Arthritis Rheum. 2013; 65: 2524-2532
- Pharmaceutical industry–sponsored meals and physician prescribing patterns for Medicare beneficiaries [erratum appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2016;176(9):1411-1412].JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1114-1122
- Association between payments from manufacturers of pharmaceuticals to physicians and regional prescribing: cross sectional ecological study.BMJ. 2016; 354: i4189
- Association of industry payments to physicians with the prescribing of brand-name statins in Massachusetts.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 763-768
- 2016 Physician specialty data report.Accessed September 22, 2021)
- CMS releases prescriber-level Medicare data for first time.Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Open Payments data summary.Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Physician compare.Accessed March 5, 2021)
- Medicare fee-for-service provider utilization & payment data physician and other supplier public use file: a methodological overview.https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Medicare-Provider-Charge-Data/Downloads/Medicare-Physician-and-Other-Supplier-PUF-Methodology.pdf(Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Prescription drugs (outpatient).Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Medicare fee-for service provider utilization & payment data Part D prescriber public use file: a methodological overview.https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Medicare-Provider-Charge-Data/Downloads/Prescriber_Methods.pdf(Accessed September 22, 2021)
- 2015 American College of Rheumatology workforce study: supply and demand projections of adult rheumatology workforce, 2015-2030.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2018; 70: 617-626
- Physician-industry interactions and anti–vascular endothelial growth factor use among US ophthalmologists.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 897-903
- Trends in the use of biologic agents among rheumatoid arthritis patients enrolled in the US Medicare program.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013; 65: 1743-1751
- Are financial payments from the pharmaceutical industry associated with physician prescribing? A systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2021; 174: 353-361
- Older drugs with limited trial evidence: are they worth the expense?.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 171: 602
- Veterans Affairs pharmacy formulary.Accessed September 22, 2021)
- The effect of incentive-based formularies on prescription-drug utilization and spending.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2224-2232
- Association between industry payments for opioid products and physicians' prescription of opioids: observational study with propensity-score matching.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2020; 74: 647-654
- Association of pharmaceutical industry marketing of opioid products to physicians with subsequent opioid prescribing.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 861-863
Grant Support: Dr Duarte-García is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( U01 U01DP006491 ), the Rheumatology Research Foundation Scientist Development Award, the Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery , the Women's Health Career Enhancement Award, and the Eaton Family Career Development Award. In the past 36 months, Dr McCoy received research support through the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases ( K23DK114497 , R03DK114497 , P30DK111024 ), AARP Quality Measure Innovation Grant, and Mayo Clinic . Dr Herrin receives funding from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to develop and evaluate provider performance measures. Dr Putman is supported in part by a Rheumatology Research Foundation Scientist Development award. Dr Ross currently receives research support through Yale University from Johnson and Johnson to develop methods of clinical trial data sharing, from the Medical Device Innovation Consortium as part of the National Evaluation System for Health Technology (NEST), from the Food and Drug Administration for the Yale–Mayo Clinic Center for Excellence in Regulatory Science and Innovation (CERSI) program (U01FD005938), from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (R01HS022882), from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health (R01HS025164, R01HL144644), and from the Laura and John Arnold Foundation to establish the Good Pharma Scorecard at Bioethics International. In the past 36 months, Dr Shah has received research support through Mayo Clinic from the Food and Drug Administration to establish the Yale–Mayo Clinic Center for Excellence in Regulatory Science and Innovation (CERSI) program (U01FD005938), the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Innovation under the Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative (TCPI), the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality ( 1U19HS024075 ; R01HS025164 ; R01HS025402 ; R03HS025517 ), the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health ( R56HL130496 ; R01HL131535 ), the National Science Foundation , and the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) to develop a Clinical Data Research Network (LHSNet).
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Matteson has served on Advisory Boards of Boehringer Ingelheim (>$10,000), Gilead Sciences (>$10,000), Speakers Bureau Simply Speaking (>$10,000), and Boehringer Ingelheim (<$10,000) and received royalties from UpToDate (>$10,000). The other authors report no conflict of interest.
Data Previously Presented: An earlier version of this work was presented in the American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting, October 19-24, 2018.