Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ARR (absolute risk reduction), CI (confidence interval), IQR (interquartile range), PBM (patient blood management), RBC (red blood cell)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The next chapter in patient blood management.Am J Clin Pathol. 2014; 142: 741-747
- essential role of patient blood management in a pandemic: a call for action.Anesth Analg. 2020; 131: 74-85
- Patient blood management: recommendations from the 2018 Frankfurt Consensus Conference.JAMA. 2019; 321: 983-997
- Red blood cell transfusion policy: a critical literature review.Blood Transfus. 2017; 15: 307-313
- Transition from room-temperature to cold-stored platelets for the preservation of blood inventories during the COVID-19 pandemic.Transfusion. 2021; 61: 72-77
- Nation confronts severe blood shortage: Blood donations urgently needed.https://www.redcross.org/about-us/news-and-events/press-release/2021/nation-confronts-severe-blood-shortage-blood-donations-urgently-needed.htmlDate accessed: June 30, 2021
- There’s a “Severe Blood Shortage” in the U.S., Red Cross Says. The New York Times.https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/health/blood-supply-crisis.htmlDate: 2021Date accessed: June 30, 2021
- Implementation of a patient blood management program in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (Editorial, p. 2763).Transfusion. 2019; 59: 2840-2848
- Patient blood management program improves blood use and clinical outcomes in orthopedic surgery..Anesthesiology. 2018; 129: 1082-1091
- Patient blood management in cardiac surgery results in fewer transfusions and better outcome.Transfusion. 2015; 55: 1075-1081
- Anemia and patient blood management in hip and knee surgery.Anesthesiology. 2010; 113: 482-495
- Implementation of a blood management program at a tertiary care hospital.Ann Surg. 2019; 269: 1073-1079
- Patient blood management is associated with a substantial reduction of red blood cell utilization and safe for patient’s outcome: a prospective, multicenter cohort study with a noninferiority design.Ann Surg. 2016; 264: 203-211
- Improved outcomes and reduced costs associated with a health-system–wide patient blood management program: a retrospective observational study in four major adult tertiary-care hospitals.Transfusion. 2017; 57: 1347-1358
- Implementing a health system-wide patient blood management program with a clinical community approach..Anesthesiology. 2017; 127: 754-764
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 573-577
- Efficacy of a simple intraoperative transfusion algorithm for nonerythrocyte component utilization after cardiopulmonary bypass.Anesthesiology. 2001; 94: 773-781
- Improvements in red blood cell transfusion utilization following implementation of a single-unit default for electronic ordering.Transfusion. 2019; 59: 2218-2222
- Connecting the dots: rule-based decision support systems in the modern EMR era.J Clin Monit Comput. 2013; 27: 443-448
- Segmented regression and difference-in-difference methods: assessing the impact of systemic changes in health care.Anesth Analg. 2019; 129: 618-633
- Implementing a “Why Give 2 When 1 Will Do?” Choosing Wisely campaign.Transfusion. 2016; 56: 2164
- Activity-based costs of blood transfusions in surgical patients at four hospitals.Transfusion. 2010; 50: 753-765
- Activity-based costs of plasma transfusions in medical and surgical inpatients at a US hospital.Vox Sang. 2016; 111: 55-61
- Ratios of plasma and platelets to red blood cells in surgical patients with acute intraoperative hemorrhage.Anesth Analg. 2020; 131: 483-493
For editorial comment, see page 2936
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Kor is on the Scientific Advisory Board with Terumo Medical Corporation; and a consultant with Instrumentation Laboratory, UpToDate, and the National Institutes of Health. The remaining authors report no potential competing interests.
Grant Support: This study was supported by KL2 TR002379 (Dr Warner) from the National Center for Advancing Translational Science (NCATS), K23HL153310 (Dr Warner) from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), and grant HL121232 (Dr Kor) from NHLBI . Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).