Abbreviations and Acronyms:COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019), PFC (prefrontal cortex)
- 1.Read the activity.
- 2.Complete the online CME Test and Evaluation. Participants must achieve a score of 80% on the CME Test. One retake is allowed.
The Higher Functions of the PFC
Stress Impairs PFC Functioning: The Importance of Control
The Relevance of Impaired PFC Function to Occupational Burnout
- Fessell D.P.
- Goleman D.
Understanding the Neurobiology Can Guide System-Based Strategies to Reduce Burnout
Supplemental Online Material
- https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/cms/asset/c84a2e5e-510b-42f1-a777-c04cd022bcdb/mmc1.mp4Loading ...
- Taking Action Against Burnout: A Systems Approach to Professional Well-Being.National Academies Press, 2019
- Burnout as a risk factor for coronary heart disease.Behav Med. 1991; 17: 53-59
- The medical perspective on burnout.Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2013; 26: 401-412
- Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1377-1385
- Executive leadership and physician well-being: nine organizational strategies to promote engagement and reduce burnout.Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92: 129-146
- Behavioral control, the medial prefrontal cortex, and resilience.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2006; 8: 397-406
- Stress signalling pathways that impair prefrontal cortex structure and function.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10 (PMCID: PMC2907136): 410-422
- MRI shows that exhaustion syndrome due to chronic occupational stress is associated with partially reversible cerebral changes.Cereb Cortex. 2018; 28: 894-906
- Insights into human behavior from lesions to the prefrontal cortex.Neuron. 2014; 83: 1002-1018
- Stress weakens prefrontal networks: molecular insults to higher cognition.Nat Neurosci. 2015; 18: 1376-1385
- The prefrontal cortex in sleep.Trends Cogn Sci. 2002; 6: 475-481
- Psychosocial stress reversibly disrupts prefrontal processing and attentional control.Proc Nat Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 912-917
- Inhibition of protein kinase C signaling protects prefrontal cortex dendritic spines and cognition from the effects of chronic stress.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 17957-17962
- Behavioral consequences of adaptation to controllable and uncontrollable noise.J Exp Soc Psychol. 1971; 7: 244-257
- Acute psychological stress reduces working memory-related activity in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.Biol Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 25-32
- Stress and decision making: effects on valuation, learning, and risk-taking.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2017; 14: 33-39
- Amygdala modulation of multiple memory systems: hippocampus and caudate-putamen.Neurobiol Learn Mem. 1998; 69: 163-203
- Basolateral amygdala noradrenergic influences on memory storage are mediated by an interaction between β- and α1-adrenoceptors.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 5119-5123
- The influence of stress hormones on fear circuitry.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2009; 32: 289-313
- Chronic stress induces contrasting patterns of dendritic remodeling in hippocampal and amygdaloid neurons.J Neurosci. 2002; 22: 6810-6818
- Repeated stress induces dendritic spine loss in the rat medial prefrontal cortex.Cereb Cortex. 2006; 16: 313-320
- Cumulative adversity and smaller gray matter volume in medial prefrontal, anterior cingulate, and insula regions.Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 72: 57-64
- Neural activation in stress-related exhaustion: cross-sectional observations and interventional effects.Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 2017; 269: 17-25
- Evidence for reduced experience-dependent dendritic spine plasticity in the aging prefrontal cortex.J Neurosci. 2011; 31: 7831-7839
- Associations between emotional intelligence and doctor burnout, job satisfaction and patient satisfaction.Med Educ. 2011; 45: 835-842
- How health care workers can take care of themselves. Harvard Business Review website.Published May 20, 2020. Accessed January 29, 2021)
- Self-valuation: attending to the most important instrument in the practice of medicine.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 2022-2031
- Effect of a professional coaching intervention on the well-being and distress of physicians: a pilot randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 1406-1414
- Regional brain volume changes in alcohol-dependent individuals during short-term and long-term abstinence.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2018; 42: 1062-1072
- The relationship between burnout, depression, and anxiety: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Psychol. 2019; 10: 284
- Mayo Clinic Strategies to Reduce Burnout: 12 Actions to Create the Ideal Workplace.Oxford University Press, 2020
- Intervention to promote physician well-being, job satisfaction, and professionalism: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 527-533
- Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life integration in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2017.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1681-1694
Grant Support: Dr Arnsten is funded by grants R01 AG061190-01 , MH093354-05 , and MH108643-01 from the National Institutes of Health and by an endowed chair honoring Albert E. Kent to Yale University. Dr Shanafelt’s research is funded by an endowed chair honoring Jeanie and Stewart Ritchie to Stanford University .
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Arnsten and Yale University receive royalties from the US sales of Intuniv from Shire/Takeda Pharmaceutical Company. Dr Arnsten receives honoraria for lectures from various sources and consults with the Lundbeck pharmaceutical company on the development of potential cognition-protective agents. Dr Shanafelt is coinventor of the Physician Well-being Index, Medical Student Well-being Index, Nurse Well-being Index, Well-being Index, and Participatory Management Leadership Index and receives a portion of the royalties from copyright holder Mayo Clinic, which has licensed them for outside use. Dr Shanafelt receives honoraria for grand rounds/keynote lecture presentations on the well-being of health care professionals and as an adviser to various health care organizations.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy