Abbreviations and Acronyms:AUROC (area under the receiver operating characteristics curve), CAM (confusion-assessment method), ICU (intensive care unit), LASSO (least absolute shrinkage and selection operator), MDP (Mayo Delirium Prediction)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Delirium in elderly people.Lancet. 2014; 383: 911-922
- Delirium in elderly patients and the risk of post-discharge mortality, institutionalization, and dementia: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2010; 304: 443-451
- Clarifying confusion: the Confusion Assessment Method.Ann Intern Med. 1990; 113: 941-948
- The CAM-S: development and validation of a new scoring system for delirium severity in 2 cohorts.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 526-533
- 3D-CAM: derivation and validation of a 3-minute diagnostic interview for CAM-defined delirium: a cross-sectional diagnostic test study.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 554-561
- Validation of the 4AT, a new instrument for rapid delirium screening: a study in 234 hospitalised older people.Age Ageing. 2014; 43: 496-502
- Delirium in hospitalized older adults.Hosp Pract. 2020; 48: 3-16
- Precipitating factors for delirium in hospitalized elderly persons: predictive model and interrelationship with baseline vulnerability.JAMA. 1996; 275: 852-857
- A multicomponent intervention to prevent delirium in hospitalized older patients.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 669-676
- Multicomponent targeted intervention to prevent delirium in hospitalized older patients: what is the economic value?.Med Care. 2001; 39: 740-752
- Cost-effectiveness of multi-component interventions to prevent delirium in older people admitted to medical wards.Age Ageing. 2012; 41: 285-291
- Preventing delirium takes a village: systematic review and meta-analysis of delirium preventive models of care.J Hosp Med. 2019; 9: 558-564
- Delirium in older people.BMJ. 2007; 334: 842-846
- An intervention integrated into daily clinical practice reduces the incidence of delirium during hospitalization in elderly patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 2029-2036
- Predicting delirium: a review of risk stratification models.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2015; 37: 408-413
- Predicting when a patient would be "out of the furrow": a perspective on delirium prediction.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 2145-2146
- Systematic review of prediction models for delirium in the older adult inpatient.BMJ Open. 2018; 8: e019223
- Effectiveness of multicomponent nonpharmacological delirium interventions: a meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175 (published correction, page 659): 512-520
- Delirium in an adult acute hospital population: predictors, prevalence and detection.BMJ Open. 2013; 3: e001772
- Delirium in hospitalized older adults (Review).N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1456-1466
Funding Sources: This work was supported by the small-grants program of the Mayo Clinic Center for Clinical and Translational Science (to S.R.P.), made possible by CTSA Grant Number UL1 TR000135, from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and by the Robert and Arlene Kogod Professorship in Geriatric Medicine (to R.J.P.). The contents of this publication are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of NIH.
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests.
Previously Published Material: An abstract of our preliminary work was submitted to American Geriatrics Society 2020 Annual Conference and was shortlisted and invited for oral presentation for effective research work in “Preventing Harm in Hospital” segment of the meeting and also as a Poster at the Society of Hospital Medicine 2020 Annual Conference. Because of the COVID pandemic, both these meetings were cancelled, and the submitted abstract of our preliminary work was published in the conference supplement journal.
A full manuscript that includes the complete details of the MDP tool, including variables with respective ORs is not published or being considered for publication in any other journal at this time.