Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:AAPC (average annual percentage change), APC (annual percentage change), IHD (ischemic heart disease)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The shifting stroke belt: changes in the geographic pattern of stroke mortality in the United States, 1962 to 1988.Stroke. 1995; 26: 755-760
- The geography of stroke mortality in the United States and the concept of a stroke belt.Stroke. 1995; 26: 1145-1149
- Regional differences in diabetes as a possible contributor to the geographic disparity in stroke mortality: the REasons for Geographic And Racial Differences in Stroke Study.Stroke. 2008; 39: 1675-1680
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute stroke belt initiative. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website.https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/resources/heart/sb_spec.pdfDate accessed: December 12, 2019
- Factors explaining excess stroke prevalence in the US Stroke Belt.Stroke. 2009; 40: 3336-3341
US Department of Health and Human Services. HHS announces initiative to reduce the incidence of stroke in stroke belt states. Vol 20192004.
- Vital signs: recent trends in stroke death rates—United States, 2000-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 933-939
- Stagnating national declines in stroke mortality mask widespread county-level increases, 2010-2016.Stroke. 2019; 50: 3355-3359
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics. CDCWONDER: multiple cause of death 1999-2018. Vol 20192018.
- Premature mortality projections in the USA through 2030: a modelling study [published correction appears in Lancet Public Health. 2018;3(8):e364].Lancet Public Health. 2018; 3: e374-e384
- 2013 NCHS Urban-Rural Classification Scheme for Counties.Vital Health Stat. 2014; 2: 1-73
- Joinpoint Regression Program [computer program]. Version 220.127.116.11. Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MDJanuary 2019
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates [published correction appears in Stat Med. 2001;20(4):655].Stat Med. 2000; 19: 335-351
- Improved confidence interval for average annual percent change in trend analysis.Stat Med. 2017; 36: 3059-3074
- Estimating average annual per cent change in trend analysis.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 3670-3682
- Geographic disparities in declining rates of heart disease mortality in the southern United States, 1973-2010.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E185
- Racial and geographic variation in coronary heart disease mortality trends.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 410
- Differences in stroke mortality among adults aged 45 and over: United States, 2010-2013.NCHS Data Brief. 2015; : 1-8
- Recent trends in cardiovascular mortality in the United States and public health goals.JAMA Cardiol. 2016; 1: 594-599
- Effect of duration and age at exposure to the Stroke Belt on incident stroke in adulthood.Neurology. 2013; 80: 1655-1661
- Birth and adult residence in the Stroke Belt independently predict stroke mortality.Neurology. 2009; 73: 1858-1865
- Increased awareness, inadequate treatment, and poor control of cardiovascular risk factors in American young adults: 2005-2016 [published online ahead of print March 2, 2020].(Eur J Prev Cardiol)
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and poor control of hypertension among young American adults: race-stratified analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Mayo Clin Proc. 2020; 95: 1390-1403
- The geographic distribution of obesity in the US and the potential regional differences in misreporting of obesity.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014; 22: 300-306
- Geographic distribution of diagnosed diabetes in the U.S.: a diabetes belt.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 434-439
- Evidence of a “heart failure belt” in the southeastern United States.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 107: 935-937
- Race, natriuretic peptides, and high-carbohydrate challenge: a clinical trial.Circ Res. 2019; 125: 957-968
- Impact of specialist follow-up in outpatients with congestive heart failure.CMAJ. 2005; 172: 189-194
- Ideal cardiovascular health among american adults after the economic recession of 2008-2009: insights from NHANES.Am J Med. 2019; 132: 1182-1190.e1185
- Lipid screening in childhood and adolescence for detection of multifactorial dyslipidemia: evidence report and systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force.JAMA. 2016; 316: 634-644
- American Heart Association Advocacy Coordinating Committee and Stroke Council. Forecasting the future of stroke in the United States: a policy statement from the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association [published correction appears in Stroke. 2015;46(7):e179].Stroke. 2013; 44: 2361-2375
Grant Support: The work was supported by grant U54MD000502 (P.A.) from the Minority Health & Health Disparities Research Center, National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities and by grant 5K23 HL146887-02 (P.A.) from the National Institutes of Health Mentored-Patient Oriented Research Award.
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests.