Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ED (emergency department), EMR (electronic medical record), ICD-9 (International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision), ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision), OR (odds ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Mental health: suicide data.(World Health Organization website)http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/Date accessed: June 6, 2018
- Contact of mental and nonmental health care providers prior to suicide in Taiwan: a population-based study.Can J Psychiatry. 2008; 53: 377-383
- Contact with mental health and primary care providers before suicide: a review of the evidence.Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 909-916
- Factors associated with suicide in the month following contact with different types of health services in Quebec.Psychiatr Serv. 2015; 66: 121-126
- Population-based analysis of health care contacts among suicide decedents: identifying opportunities for more targeted suicide prevention strategies.World Psychiatry. 2016; 15: 135-145
- Patterns of health care usage in the year before suicide: a population-based case-control study.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1475-1481
- Number of visits to the emergency department and risk of suicide: a population- based case-control study.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 227
- Burden of illness and suicide in elderly people: case-control study.BMJ. 2002; 324: 1355
- Case-control study of GP attendance rates by suicide cases with or without a psychiatric history.Br J Gen Pract. 1997; 47: 211-215
- Outpatient health care utilization of suicide decedents in their last year of life.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2012; 42: 445-452
- Predicting suicide attempts and suicide deaths following outpatient visits using electronic health records.Am J Psychiatry. 2018; 175 (appiajp201817101167)
- Can we usefully stratify patients according to suicide risk?.BMJ. 2017; 359: j4627
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Warning signs for suicide: theory, research, and clinical applications.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2006; 36: 255-262
- Epidemiology of completed and attempted suicide: toward a framework for prevention.Clin Neurosci Res. 2001; 1: 310-323
- Racial/ethnic differences in health care visits made before suicide attempt across the United States.Med Care. 2015; 53: 430-435
- Physical compared to mental diseases as reasons for committing suicide: a retrospective study.BMC Palliat Care. 2016; 15: 14
- Risk of suicide and suicide attempts associated with physical disorders: a population-based, balancing score-matched analysis.Psychol Med. 2015; 45: 495-504
- Suicide attempts in the United States: the role of physical illness.Soc Sci Med. 2003; 56: 1783-1788
- Care pathways before first diagnosis of a psychotic disorder in adolescents and young adults.Am J Psychiatry. 2018; 175: 434-442
- Predicting suicidal behavior from longitudinal electronic health records.Am J Psychiatry. 2017; 174: 154-162
- Risk stratification using data from electronic medical records better predicts suicide risks than clinician assessments.BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14: 76
- Prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts versus suicide gestures: analysis of the National Comorbidity Survey.J Abnorm Psychol. 2006; 115: 616-623
- Suicide prevention in primary care medicine.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1459-1461
- Weren't asked, didn't tell: prevalence of communication of suicidal ideation in suicide decedents during the last year of life.Mayo Clin Proc. 2018; 93: 731-738
- Predicting risk of suicide attempt using history of physical illnesses from electronic medical records.JMIR Ment Health. 2016; 3: e19
- Predictive modeling and concentration of the risk of suicide: implications for preventive interventions in the US Department of Veterans Affairs.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1935-1942
- Forging an agenda for suicide prevention in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 822-829
- Association of a dedicated post-hospital discharge follow-up visit and 30-day readmission risk in a Medicare Advantage population.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 132-135
For Limelight, see page 1915
Dr Chock is now with Kaiser Permanente, Honolulu, HI.
Grant Support: The study was funded by a Kaiser Permanente Southern California Regional Research Committee grant, which is partially supported by the Southern California Permanente Medical Group Research and Evaluation Department and Direct Community Benefit Investment funds. Researchers were independent of study funders.
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests.