Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Bornstein D. Who will heal the doctors? The New York Times website. https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/who-will-heal-the-doctors. Published October 2, 2013. Accessed August 23, 2018.
- Hope and the prospects of healing at the end of life.J Altern Complement Med. 2005; 11: S23-S30
Marcus R. Ruth Marcus: out of tragedy, some hope. The Washington Post website. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ruth-marcus-out-of-tragedy-some-hope/2012/07/03/gJQAzX6dLW_story.html?utm_term=.8b21d020e9a1. Published July 3, 2012. Accessed August 24, 2018.
- Facilitating family resilience with childhood illness and disability.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2006; 18: 527-538
- The meaning of healing: transcending suffering.Ann Fam Med. 2005; 3: 255-262
Aristotle. Nicomachean Ethics, I.8, 1099b16.
- The discursive properties of “hope”: a qualitative analysis of cancer patients' speech.Qual Health Res. 2002; 12: 173-193
- The breadth of hopes.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2306-2307
Stuart B, Begoun A, Berry L. The dual nature of hope at the end of life. The BMJ Opinion website. http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2017/04/13/the-dual-nature-of-hope-at-the-end-of-life/. Published April 13, 2017. Accessed August 23, 2018.
- Early palliative care for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 733-742
- ICU care associated with symptoms of depression and posttraumatic stress disorder among family members of patients who die in the ICU.Chest. 2011; 139: 795-801
- What else are you hoping for? fostering hope in paediatric serious illness.Acta Paediatr. 2016; 105: 1004-1005
- Prognostic disclosure to patients with cancer near the end of life.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 134: 1096-1105
- Truth-telling in discussing prognosis in advanced life-limiting illnesses: a systematic review.Palliat Med. 2007; 21: 507-517
- Parental hope for children with advanced cancer.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: 868-874
- Changes in parental hopes for seriously ill children.Pediatrics. 2018; 141https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-3549
- Time will tell.JAMA. 2015; 313: 1107-1108
- Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 439-443
- Disclosure coaching: an ask-tell-ask model to support clinicians in disclosure conversations [published online May 16, 2018].(J Patient Saf)https://doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0000000000000491Date accessed: September 8, 2018
- Denial's many faces.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1374-1375
- Medical indication regarding life-sustaining treatment for children: focus groups with clinicians.Palliat Med. 2016; 30: 960-970
- Understanding of prognosis among parents of children with cancer: parental optimism and the parent-physician interaction.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1357-1362
- Closing the patient-oncologist communication gap: a review of historic and current efforts.J Cancer Educ. 2014; 29: 106-113
- The inner life of physicians and care of the seriously ill.JAMA. 2001; 286: 3007-3014
- The importance of being.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1924-1927
- Notes to an oncology fellow.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 168: 371-372
- Spiritual well-being among outpatients with cancer receiving concurrent oncologic and palliative care.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 919-923
- Provision of spiritual support to patients with advanced cancer by religious communities and associations with medical care at the end of life.JAMA Int Med. 2013; 173: 1109-1117
- Effect of spiritual well-being on end-of-life despair in terminally-ill cancer patients.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1603-1607
- Follow the Child: Planning and Having the Best End-of-Life Care for Your Child.Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London, UK2018
- The impact of losing a child on the clinical presentation of complicated grief.J Affect Disord. 2015; 170: 15-21
- Psychological distress in parents of children with advanced cancer.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 537-543
- George Mark Children's House website.https://georgemark.org/Date accessed: August 20, 2018
- Bereaved Parents of the USA website.https://www.bereavedparentsusa.org/Date accessed: September 5, 2018
- Hope is the thing with feathers.JAMA. 2016; 315: 265-266
- Peace of mind and sense of purpose as core existential issues among parents of children with cancer.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009; 163: 519-524
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests.