Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:AIC (Akaike information criterion), AML (acute myeloid leukemia), AUC (area under the curve), BM (bone marrow), GVHD (graft-vs-host disease), HCT (allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant), HR (hazard ratio), IPSS-R (revised International Prognostic Scoring System), MC (Mayo Clinic), MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome), MK (monosomal karyotype), NTUH (National Taiwan University Hospital), ROC (receiver operating characteristic)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Myelodysplastic syndromes.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1872-1885
- Survival trends in primary myelodysplastic syndromes: a comparative analysis of 1000 patients by year of diagnosis and treatment.Blood Cancer J. 2016; 6: e414
- Underestimation of myelodysplastic syndrome incidence by cancer registries: results from a population-based data linkage study.Cancer. 2014; 120: 1686-1694
- Incidence of the myelodysplastic syndromes using a novel claims-based algorithm: high number of uncaptured cases by cancer registries.Blood. 2011; 117: 7121-7125
- Causes of death in 2877 patients with myelodysplastic syndromes.Ann Hematol. 2016; 95: 937-944
- Swerdlow S.H. Campo E. Harris N.L. WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. IARC, Lyon, France2017
- Characteristics and outcome of therapy-related myeloid neoplasms: report from the Italian Network on Secondary Leukemias.Am J Hematol. 2015; 90: E80-E85
- Impact of achievement of complete cytogenetic response on outcome in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes treated with hypomethylating agents.Am J Hematol. 2017; 92: 351-358
- Efficacy of azacitidine compared with that of conventional care regimens in the treatment of higher-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: a randomised, open-label, phase III study.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 223-232
- Decision analysis of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for patients with myelodysplastic syndrome stratified according to the revised International Prognostic Scoring System.Leukemia. 2017; 31: 2449-2457
- Revised International Prognostic Scoring System for myelodysplastic syndromes.Blood. 2012; 120: 2454-2465
- Evaluation of revised IPSS cytogenetic risk stratification and prognostic impact of monosomal karyotype in 783 patients with primary myelodysplastic syndromes.Am J Hematol. 2013; 88: 690-693
- Monosomal karyotype in myelodysplastic syndromes, with or without monosomy 7 or 5, is prognostically worse than an otherwise complex karyotype.Leukemia. 2011; 25: 266-270
- Mutations and karyotype in myelodysplastic syndromes: TP53 clusters with monosomal karyotype, RUNX1 with trisomy 21, and SF3B1 with inv(3)(q21q26.2) and del(11q).Blood Cancer J. 2017; 7: 658
- The 2008 revision of the World Health Organization (WHO) classification of myeloid neoplasms and acute leukemia: rationale and important changes.Blood. 2009; 114: 937-951
- Targeted next-generation sequencing in myelodysplastic syndromes and prognostic interaction between mutations and IPSS-R.Am J Hematol. 2017; 92: 1311-1317
- Targeted deep sequencing in primary myelofibrosis.Blood Adv. 2016; 1: 105-111
- Distinct mutation profile and prognostic relevance in patients with hypoplastic myelodysplastic syndromes (h-MDS).Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 63177-63188
- Impact of the degree of anemia on the outcome of patients with myelodysplastic syndrome and its integration into the WHO classification-based Prognostic Scoring System (WPSS).Haematologica. 2011; 96: 1433-1440
- Long-term follow-up of a retrospective comparison of reduced-intensity conditioning and conventional high-dose conditioning for allogeneic transplantation from matched related donors in myelodysplastic syndromes.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2017; 52: 1107-1112
- Cytogenetic risk stratification in myelodysplastic syndromes: are we there yet [letter]?.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2703-2704
- Clinical effect of point mutations in myelodysplastic syndromes.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2496-2506
- Validation of a prognostic model and the impact of mutations in patients with lower-risk myelodysplastic syndromes.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3376-3382
- Adding molecular data to prognostic models can improve predictive power in treated patients with myelodysplastic syndromes.Leukemia. 2017; 31: 2848-2850
Li B, Liu J, Xu Z, et al. The usefulness of mutational data on prognosis of myelodysplastic syndromes: alone or incorporated into the IPSS-R? [published online ahead of print November 28, 2017]. Br J Haematol.
For editorial comment, see page 1340
Grant Support: This work was supported in part by a grant from the Henry J. Predolin Foundation to Mayo Clinic and grants MOST 106-2314-B-002-231 and 106-2314-B-002-226-MY3 from the Taiwan Ministry of Science and Technology and MOHW 105-TDU-B-211-134004 from the Taiwan Ministry of Health and Welfare to National Taiwan University Hospital.
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests.