Abbreviations and Acronyms:BMI (body mass index), LDA (linear discriminant analysis), LEfSe (linear discriminant analysis effect size), rRNA (ribosomal ribonucleic acid)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- BMI and all cause mortality: systematic review and non-linear dose-response meta-analysis of 230 cohort studies with 3.74 million deaths among 30.3 million participants.BMJ. 2016; 353: i2156
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- Effects of moderate and subsequent progressive weight loss on metabolic function and adipose tissue biology in humans with obesity.Cell Metab. 2016; 23: 591-601
- Program compliance, weight loss and health profile changes in WHO obesity classes after very low energy dietary intervention.Global Epidemic Obes. 2013; 1: 4
- Mechanisms, pathophysiology, and management of obesity.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 254-266
- Adiposity, gut microbiota and faecal short chain fatty acids are linked in adult humans.Nutr Diabetes. 2014; 4: e121
- Transfer of intestinal microbiota from lean donors increases insulin sensitivity in individuals with metabolic syndrome.Gastroenterology. 2012; 143: 913-916.e917
- The influence of food portion size and energy density on energy intake: implications for weight management.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 236S-241S
- The Look AHEAD study: a description of the lifestyle intervention and the evidence supporting it [published correction appears in Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007;15(5):1339. Wadden, Thomas A [added]; West, Delia Smith [added]; Delahanty, Linda [added]; Jakicic, John [added]; Rejeski, Jack [added]; Williamson, Don [added]; Berkowitz, Robert I [added]; Kelley, David E [added]; Tomchee, Christine [added]; Hill, James O [added]; Kumanyika, Shiriki [added]].Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006; 14: 737-752
- QIIME allows analysis of high-throughput community sequencing data.Nat Methods. 2010; 7: 335-336
- Predictive functional profiling of microbial communities using 16S rRNA marker gene sequences.Nat Biotechnol. 2013; 31: 814-821
- KEGG: Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes.Nucleic Acids Res. 2000; 28: 27-30
- The COG database: a tool for genome-scale analysis of protein functions and evolution.Nucleic Acids Res. 2000; 28: 33-36
- The Carbohydrate-Active Enzymes database (CAZy) in 2013.Nucleic Acids Res. 2014; 42: D490-D495
- Metagenomic biomarker discovery and explanation.Genome Biol. 2011; 12: R60
- Phascolarctobacterium faecium abundant colonization in human gastrointestinal tract.Exp Ther Med. 2017; 14: 3122-3126
- Changes in gut microbiota in rats fed a high fat diet correlate with obesity-associated metabolic parameters.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0126931
- Importance of Dialister pneumosintes in human periodontitis.Oral Microbiol Immunol. 2000; 15: 269-272
- Molecular identification of Dialister pneumosintes in subgingival plaque of humans.J Clin Microbiol. 2000; 38: 3043-3047
- Molecular detection of novel anaerobic species in dentoalveolar abscesses.Clin Infect Dis. 1997; 25: S235-S236
- Divergent modes of glycan recognition by a new family of carbohydrate-binding modules.J Biol Chem. 2008; 283: 12604-12613
- SusG: a unique cell-membrane-associated α-amylase from a prominent human gut symbiont targets complex starch molecules.Structure. 2010; 18: 200-215
- The membrane-bound α-glucuronidase from Pseudomonas cellulosa hydrolyzes 4-O-methyl-d-glucuronoxylooligosaccharides but not 4-O-methyl-d-glucuronoxylan.J Bacteriol. 2002; 184: 4925-4929
- Molecular basis of arabinobio-hydrolase activity in phytopathogenic fungi: crystal structure and catalytic mechanism of Fusarium graminearum GH93 exo-α-l-arabinanase.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 12285-12296
- Human gut microbiome viewed across age and geography.Nature. 2012; 486: 222-227
Grant Support: The work was supported by grant DK114007 (P.C.K.) from the National Institutes of Health as well as by the Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine (P.C.K.).
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Jensen has received a grant from SFI Research Pty Ltd. Dr Murray has received grant support from the National Institutes of Health, Alvine Pharmaceuticals, and Alba Therapeutics; receives ongoing support from Oberkotter Foundation and Broad Medical Research Program at the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America; serves on the advisory board of Celimmune, LLC, and ImmunogenX; was a consultant to BioLineRx, GlaxoSmithKline, Genentech, and Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd; and is a consultant to ImmusanT, Institute for Protein Design (PvP Biologics), Takeda Pharmaceutical Company, Ltd., Innovate Biopharmaceuticals, Inc., UCB, Inc., and Intrexon. Dr Nehra has received a grant from Alvine Pharmaceuticals, Inc.