Abbreviations and Acronyms:Ab (antibody), aPL (antiphospholipid), APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), AQP4-IgG (aquaporin-4 immunoglobulin G), CNS (central nervous system), DVT (deep venous thrombosis), LETM (longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), NMOSD (neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder), PE (pulmonary embolism), SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), STIR (short tau inversion recovery)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2015; 85: 177-189
- A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2004; 364: 2106-2112
- Neuromyelitis optica unique area postrema lesions: nausea, vomiting, and pathogenic implications.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1229-1237
- Short myelitis lesions in aquaporin-4-IgG-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.JAMA Neurol. 2015; 72: 81-87
- The emerging relationship between neuromyelitis optica and systemic rheumatologic autoimmune disease.Mult Scler. 2012; 18: 5-10
- Updating the American College of Rheumatology revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 1997; 40: 1725
- The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 1982; 25: 1271-1277
- International consensus statement on an update of the classification criteria for definite antiphospholipid syndrome (APS).J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4: 295-306
- Anterior spinal artery infarction causing man-in-the-barrel syndrome.Neurol Clin Pract. 2014; 4: 268-269
- Clinical, radiologic, and therapeutic analysis of 14 patients with transverse myelitis associated with antiphospholipid syndrome: report of 4 cases and review of the literature.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2011; 40: 349-357
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum initially diagnosed as antiphospholipid antibody myelitis.J Neurol Sci. 2016; 361: 204-205
- Serologic diagnosis of NMO: a multicenter comparison of aquaporin-4-IgG assays.Neurology. 2012; 78 (discussion 669): 665-671
- Serum anticardiolipin antibodies in patients with neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 3150-3157
- Neuromyelitis optica and non organ-specific autoimmunity.Arch Neurol. 2008; 65: 78-83
- Longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis with and without aquaporin 4 antibodies.JAMA Neurol. 2013; 70: 1375-1381
- Aquaporin 4 IgG serostatus and outcome in recurrent longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 48-54
- Clinical presentation and prognosis in MOG-antibody disease: a UK study.Brain. 2017; 140: 3128-3138
- Devic syndrome: can antiphospholipid antibodies be a factor?.J Clin Rheumatol. 2012; 18: 419-421
Flanagan EP, Cabre P, Weinshenker BG, et al. Epidemiology of aquaporin-4 autoimmunity and neuromyelitis optica spectrum [published online February 17, 2016]. Ann Neurol. https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.24617.
- Pregnancy outcomes in aquaporin-4-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Neurology. 2016; 86: 79-87
- Neuromyelitis optica IgG causes placental inflammation and fetal death.J Immunol. 2013; 191: 2999-3005
- Risk of venous thromboembolism in neuromyelitis optica patients hospitalized for acute relapse.Mult Scler. 2017; 23: 988-994
- Neuromyelitis optica: evaluation of 871 attacks and 1,153 treatment courses.Ann Neurol. 2016; 79: 206-216
- Discriminating long myelitis of neuromyelitis optica from sarcoidosis.Ann Neurol. 2016; 79: 437-447
Grant Support: This study was supported by the Guthy-Jackson Charitable Foundation and by grant NS065829 from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke of the National Institutes of Health.
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Pittock receives royalties for a technology license related to a test for aquaporin-4 (AQP4) autoantibodies for diagnosis of neuromyelitis optica (NMO) and its spectrum disorders. He also is a named inventor on patents (12/678,350 filed in 2010 and 12/573,942 filed in 2008) that relate to functional AQP4/NMO-IgG assays and NMO/AQP4-IgG as a cancer marker.