Abbreviations and Acronyms:MA (meta-analysis), RCT (randomized controlled trial)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Evolution of treatment effects over time: empirical insight from recursive cumulative metaanalyses.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98: 831-836
- Early extreme contradictory estimates may appear in published research: the Proteus phenomenon in molecular genetics research and randomized trials.J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58: 543-549
- Quantifying selective reporting and the Proteus phenomenon for multiple datasets with similar bias.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e18362
- Early studies reported extreme findings with large variability: a meta-epidemiologic study in the field of endocrinology.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 72: 27-32
- Guidelines for reporting meta-epidemiologic methodology research.Evid Based Med. 2017; 22: 139-142
- Managing multiple chronic conditions: a strategic framework for improving health outcomes and quality of life.Public Health Rep. 2011; 126: 460-471
- The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d5928
- Extracting summary statistics to perform meta-analyses of the published literature for survival endpoints.Stat Med. 1998; 17 (Erratum in Stat Med. 2004;23(11):1817): 2815-2834
- Statistical Analysis of Failure Time Data.Wiley, Hoboken, NJ1980
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Deaths: preliminary data for 2011.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2012; 61: 1-51
United Health Foundation. America's health rankings: a call to action for individuals and their communities. 2012. http://www.asaging.org/web-seminars/america%E2%80%99s-health-rankings-senior-report-call-action-individuals-and-their-communities. Accessed April 5, 2015.
Rudegeair P. Americans living longer, with unhealthy lifestyles: report. 2012. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-health-rankings-idUSBRE8BA1D220121211. Accessed April 5, 2015.
- Prevalence of multiple chronic conditions among US adults: estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2010.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E65
- Trends in global clinical trial registration: an analysis of numbers of registered clinical trials in different parts of the world from 2004 to 2013.BMJ Open. 2015; 5: e008932
For editorial comment, see page 273
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests.