Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:CKD (chronic kidney disease), CVD (cardiovascular disease), DM (diabetes mellitus), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), ESRD (end-stage renal disease), HR (hazard ratio), MDRD (modification of diet in renal disease formula), hsCRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein), MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of uncertain significance), NT-proBNP (N-terminal pro–B-type natriuretic peptide), PCR (protein to creatinine ratio), PWV (pulse wave velocity), RAAS (renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system), RRT (renal replacement therapy), SBP (systolic blood pressure), sFLC (serum free light chain), uACR (urine albumin to creatinine ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- CKD prevalence varies across the European general population.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 27: 2135-2147
- US Renal Data System 2016 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: A7-A8
- Association of estimated glomerular filtration rate and albuminuria with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in general population cohorts: a collaborative meta-analysis.Lancet. 2010; 375: 2073-2081
- Combining GFR and albuminuria to classify CKD improves prediction of ESRD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 1069-1077
- Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1296-1305
- KDIGO 2012 Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease.Kidney Int Suppl. 2013; 3: 1-150
- Progress in risk prediction for people with chronic kidney disease.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2014; 23: 519-524
- Quantitative assessment of serum and urinary polyclonal free light chains in patients with chronic kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 3: 1684-1690
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1453-1457
Higgins J, Green S, eds. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration website. http://www.handbook.cochrane.org/. Updated March 2011. Accessed August 24, 2017.
- Association between free light chain levels, and disease progression and mortality in chronic kidney disease.Toxins (Basel). 2013; 5: 2058-2073
- Serum free light chains and the risk of ESRD and death in CKD.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 6: 2829-2837
- Association of serum Ig free light chains with mortality and ESRD among patients with nondialysis-dependent CKD.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 10: 740-749
- Serum polyclonal immunoglobulin free light chain levels predict mortality in people with chronic kidney disease.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 615-622
- The association between polyclonal combined serum free light chain concentration and mortality in individuals with early chronic kidney disease.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0129980
- Elevated, combined serum free light chain levels and increased mortality: a 5-year follow-up, UK study.J Clin Pathol. 2012; 65: 1036-1042
- Use of nonclonal serum immunoglobulin free light chains to predict overall survival in the general population.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 517-523
- Free immunoglobulin light chains as a risk factor in renal and extrarenal complications.Semin Dial. 2009; 22: 369-372
- Effect of immunoglobulin light chains from hemodialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis patients on polymorphonuclear leukocyte functions.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1995; 6: 1592-1599
- Uremic toxins modulate the spontaneous apoptotic cell death and essential functions of neutrophils.Kidney Int Suppl. 2001; 78: S48-S52
- Role of mast cells in progressive renal diseases.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 19: 2254-2261
- Immunoglobulin-free light chains elicit immediate hypersensitivity-like responses.Nat Med. 2002; 8: 694-701
- Higher serum levels of free kappa plus lambda immunoglobulin light chains ameliorate survival of hemodialysis patients.Kidney Blood Press Res. 2011; 34: 344-349
- Cytotoxicity of myeloma light chains in cultured human kidney proximal tubule cells.Am J Kidney Dis. 2000; 36: 735-744
- Role of MAPK pathways in light chain-induced cytokine production in human proximal tubule cells.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003; 284: F1245-F1254
- Endocytosis of light chains induces cytokines through activation of NF-kappaB in human proximal tubule cells.Kidney Int. 2002; 62: 1977-1988
- Proximal tubular injury in myeloma.Contrib Nephrol. 2007; 153: 87-104
- Filtration markers as predictors of ESRD and mortality: individual participant data meta-analysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 69-78
- Serum free light chain assessment in monoclonal gammopathy and kidney disease.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2009; 5: 621-628
- Combined free light chains are novel predictors of prognosis in heart failure.JACC Heart Fail. 2015; 3: 618-625
- Polyclonal free light chain elevation and mortality in the German Heinz Nixdorf Recall Study.Blood. 2010; 116: 3903
- Free light chains: potential biomarker and predictor of mortality in alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency and usual COPD.Respir Res. 2016; 17: 34
- Risk prediction models for patients with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 596-603
- Measurement uncertainty for serum free light chain assays: estimation and implication on result interpretation.Clin Biochem. 2013; 46: 381-384
Grant Support: The Binding Site Group Ltd supported the individual UK studies included (Assi et al, Haynes et al, Hutchison et al, Ritchie et al) by conducting sFLC assays free of charge.
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Burmeister is an employee of, but has not received funding from, The Binding Site Group Ltd. Dr Cockwell has received research funding from The Binding Site Group Ltd.
Data Previously Presented: These data were presented as an abstract at the 2016 American Society of Nephrology Conference in Chicago, IL, and as a poster at the 2017 UK Kidney Week Conference in Liverpool, United Kingdom.