Abbreviations and Acronyms:CYP ( cytochrome P450), EHR ( electronic health record), eMERGE ( Electronic Medical Records and Genomics), GWAS ( genome-wide association study), NGS ( next-generation sequencing), NIH ( National Institutes of Health), ns ( nonsynonymous), PGRN ( Pharmacogenomics Research Network), PK ( pharmacokinetic), SNP ( single nucleotide polymorphism), TPMT ( thiopurine S-methyltransferase), UGT ( UDP-glucuronosyltransferase)
- Pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics: development, science, and translation.Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2006; 7: 223-245
- Genomics and drug response.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1144-1153
- Pharmacogenomics and patient care: one size does not fit all.Sci Transl Med. 2012; 4: 153ps18
- Drug reactions enzymes and biochemical genetics.J Am Med Assoc. 1957; 165: 835-837
- Familial incidence of low pseudocholinesterase level.Lancet. 1956; 268: 576-577
- On distribution and inheritance of atypical forms of human serum cholinesterase, as indicated by dibucaine numbers.Can J Biochem Physiol. 1957; 35: 1305-1320
- Über die Erbbedingtheit der intraindividuellen Konstanz der Isoniazidausscheidung beim Menschen.Naturwissenschaften. 1957; 44 ([in German]): 314-320
- Genetic control of isoniazid metabolism in man.Br Med J. 1960; 2: 485-491
- Further observations on the determination of isoniazid inactivator phenotype.Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1961; 108: 60-66
- Mercaptopurine pharmacogenetics: monogenic inheritance of erythrocyte thiopurine methyltransferase activity.Am J Hum Genet. 1980; 32: 651-662
- Pharmacogenetics of acute azathioprine toxicity: relationship to thiopurine methyltransferase genetic polymorphism.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1989; 46: 149-154
- Polymorphic hydroxylation of Debrisoquine in man.Lancet. 1977; 2: 584-586
- A probable genetic defect of the metabolism of sparteine.in: Gorrod J. Biological Oxidation of Nitrogen. Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam1978: 113-118
- Characterization of the common genetic defect in humans deficient in debrisoquine metabolism.Nature. 1988; 331: 442-446
- Debrisoquine/sparteine hydroxylation genotype and phenotype: analysis of common mutations and alleles of CYP2D6 in a European population.DNA Cell Biol. 1991; 10: 545-558
The HLA Adverse Drug Reaction Database. Allele frequencies in worldwide populations. http://www.allelefrequencies.net/default.asp. Accessed September 16, 2017.
- Sulfation pharmacogenetics in humans.Chem Biol Interact. 1994; 92: 233-246
- Sulfation and sulfotransferases 1: sulfotransferase molecular biology: cDNAs and genes.FASEB J. 1997; 11: 3-14
- Methylation pharmacogenetics: thiopurine methyltransferase as a model system.Xenobiotica. 1992; 22: 1055-1071
- Methylation pharmacogenetics: catechol O-methyltransferase, thiopurine methyltransferase, and histamine N-methyltransferase.Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 1999; 39: 19-52
- Gene structure at the human UGT1 locus creates diversity in isozyme structure, substrate specificity, and regulation.Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol. 1995; 51: 305-338
- The genetic basis of the reduced expression of bilirubin UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 1 in Gilbert’s syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1171-1175
- Genetic predisposition to the metabolism of irinotecan (CPT-11): role of uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase isoform 1A1 in the glucuronidation of its active metabolite (SN-38) inhuman liver microsomes.J Clin Invest. 1998; 101: 847-854
- Thiopurine methyltransferase pharmacogenetics: human gene cloning and characterization of a common polymorphism.DNA Cell Biol. 1996; 15: 17-30
- Thiopurine S-methyltransferase deficiency: two nucleotide transitions define the most prevalent mutant allele associated with loss of catalytic activity in Caucasians.Am J Hum Genet. 1996; 58: 694-702
- Enhanced proteasomal degradation of mutant human thiopurine S-methyltransferase (TPMT) in mammalian cells: mechanism for TPMT protein deficiency inherited by TPMT*2, TPMT*3A, TPMT*3B or TPMT*3C.Pharmacogenetics. 1999; 9: 641-650
- Thiopurine S-methyltransferase pharmacogenetics: chaperone protein association and allozyme degradation.Pharmacogenetics. 2003; 13: 555-564
- Human thiopurine S-methyltransferase pharmacogenetics: variant allozyme misfolding and aggresome formation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 9394-9399
Table of pharmacogenomic biomarkers in drug labeling. US Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/scienceresearch/researchareas/pharmacogenetics/ucm083378.htm. Accessed September 16, 2017.
CPIC guidelines. NIH PRGN and PharmGKB. https://cpicpgx.org/guidelines/. Accessed September 16, 2017.
- Implementing pharmacogenomics in Europe: design and implementation strategy of the Ubiquitous Pharmacogenomics Consortium.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2017; 101: 341-358
The Human Cytochrome P450 (CYP) Allele Nomenclature Database. Ingelman-Sundberg M. http://www.cypalleles.ki.se. Accessed September 16, 2017.
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators and pharmacogenomic variation in ZNF423 regulation of BRCA1 expression: individualized breast cancer prevention.Cancer Discov. 2013; 3: 812-825
- Participant-perceived understanding and perspectives on pharmacogenomics: the Mayo Clinic RIGHT protocol (Right Drug, Right Dose, Right Time).Genet Med. 2017; 19: 819-825
- Electronic medical record-integrated pharmacogenomics and related clinical decision support concepts.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2017; 102: 254-264
- Preemptive pharmacogenomic testing for precision medicine: a comprehensive analysis of five actionable pharmacogenomic genes using next-generation DNA sequencing and a customized CYP2D6 genotyping cascade.J Mol Diagn. 2016; 18: 438-445
- SLCO1B1 variants and statin-induced myopathy—a genomewide study.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 789-799
GTEx Portal. Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT. https://www.gtexportal.org/home/. Accessed September 16, 2017.
- Estrogen, SNP-dependent chemokine expression and selective estrogen receptor modulator regulation.Mol Endocrinol. 2016; 30: 382-398
- Analysis of protein-coding genetic variation in 60,706 humans.Nature. 2016; 536: 285-291
- TSPAN5, ERICH3 and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in major depressive disorder: pharmacometabolomics-informed pharmacogenomics.Mol Psychiatry. 2016; 21: 1717-1725
Grant Support: The work was supported, in part, by the National Institutes of Health grants U19 GM61388 (L.W. and R.M.W.), RO1 CA196648 (L.W.), U54 GM114838 (R.M.W.), RO1 GM28157 (R.M.W.), and NSF1624615 (L.W.); by the Mayo Clinic Breast Cancer SPORE grant P50 CA116201 (L.W.); by the Breast Cancer Research Foundation; and by the Mayo Center for Individualized Medicine.
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Wang and Dr Weinshilboum are cofounders and stockholders in OneOme.
Individual reprints of this article and a bound reprint of the entire Symposium on Precision Medicine will be available for purchase from our website www.mayoclinicproceedings.org.
The Symposium on Precision Medicine will continue in an upcoming issue.