Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:BETOS (Berenson-Eggers Type of Service), CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services), FFS (fee-for-service), GPCI (Geographic Practice Cost Index), HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Table A-1: U.S. medical school applications and matriculants by school, state of legal residence, and sex, 2015-2016.Accessed July 7, 2016)
- Gender differences in academic productivity and leadership appointments of physicians throughout academic careers.Acad Med. 2011; 86: 43-47
- Sex differences in physician salary in US public medical schools.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1294-1304
- A gender-based comparison of academic rank and scholarly productivity in academic neurological surgery.J Clin Neurosci. 2014; 21: 1102-1105
- Male and female physicians: family and career comparisons.Soc Sci Med. 1990; 30: 373-378
- Career fit and burnout among academic faculty.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 990-995
- Impact of gender-based career obstacles on the working status of women physicians in Japan.Soc Sci Med. 2012; 75: 1612-1616
- Women in academic medicine: combining career and family.N Engl J Med. 1989; 321: 1511-1517
- Academic advancement of women in medicine: do socialized gender differences have a role in mentoring?.Mayo Clin Proc. 2008; 83: 204-207
- Results of a gender-climate and work-environment survey at a midwestern academic health center.Acad Med. 2000; 75: 653-660
- Gender differences in salary of internal medicine residency directors: a national survey.Am J Med. 2015; 128: 659-665
- Gender differences in the salaries of physician researchers.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2410-2417
- Differences in earnings between male and female physicians.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 960-964
- Making the case for a new national data collection effort on physicians and their practices.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: S553-S554
- The gender earnings gap among pharmacists.Res Social Adm Pharm. 2012; 8: 285-297
- Gender pay gap and employment sector: sources of earnings disparities in the United States, 1970-2010.Demography. 2014; 51: 1597-1618
Rhode DL, Chair, for the Commission on Women in the Profession. Balanced lives—changing the culture of legal practice. 2001. http://womenlaw.stanford.edu/pdf/balanced.lives.pdf. Accessed January 28, 2017.
- Gender differences in salary in a recent cohort of early-career physician-researchers.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 1689-1699
- Activities, productivity, and compensation of men and women in the life sciences.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 631-639
- Medicare provider utilization and payment data: physician and other supplier.https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Medicare-Provider-Charge-Data/Physician-and-Other-Supplier.html(Accessed May 5, 2016)Date: 2013
- Physician Compare datasets.Accessed July 7, 2016)
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Berenson-Eggers Type of Service (BETOS). 2015. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/HCPCSReleaseCodeSets/BETOS.html. Accessed June 15, 2015.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. National Physician Fee Schedule and relative value files. 2015. https://www.cms.gov/apps/physician-fee-schedule/documentation.aspx. Accessed July 7, 2016.
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. 2016. http://www.acgme.org/tabid/83/ProgramandInstitutionalAccreditation.aspx. Accessed July 7, 2016.
- Relation of family responsibilities and gender to the productivity and career satisfaction of medical faculty.Ann Intern Med. 1998; 129: 532-538
- The relationship between geographic variations and overuse of healthcare services: a systematic review.Med Care. 2012; 50: 257-261
- Gender and future salary: disparate trends in internal medicine residents.Am J Med. 2010; 123: 470-475
- Work activities and compensation of male and female cardiologists.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 529-541
- Measuring changes in the economics of medical practice.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: S562-S567
- Methods of observing variations in physicians' decisions: the opportunities of clinical vignettes.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: S586-S594
- Factors contributing to variations in physicians' use of evidence at the point of care: a conceptual model.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: S555-S561
- Gender differences in time spent on parenting and domestic responsibilities by high-achieving young physician-researchers.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 344-353
For editorial comment, see page 855
Grant Support: This study received financial support from Research to Prevent Blindness Inc, New York, NY; Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Rochester, MN; and grant UL1 TR000135 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences . Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. The funding sponsors had no involvement with the manuscript.