Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:BCC (basal cell carcinoma), cSCC (cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma), IQR (interquartile range), NMSC (nonmelanoma skin cancer)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The epidemiology of skin cancer.Br J Dermatol. 2002; 146: 1-6
- Prevalence of a history of skin cancer in 2007: results of an incidence-based model.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 146: 279-282
- A systematic review of worldwide incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancer.Br J Dermatol. 2012; 166: 1069-1080
- Variations in registration of skin cancer in the United Kingdom.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2004; 29: 328-330
- Reporting and registering nonmelanoma skin cancers: a compelling public health need.Br J Dermatol. 2012; 166: 913-915
- Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer (keratinocyte carcinomas) in the U.S. population, 2012.JAMA Dermatol. 2015; 151: 1081-1086
Skin cancers. World Health Organization web site. www.who.int/uv/faq/skincancer/en/index1.html. Accessed January 10, 2015.
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: estimated incidence of disease, nodal metastasis, and deaths from disease in the United States, 2012.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 68: 957-966
- Trends in the incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancer in Denmark 1978-2007: rapid incidence increase among young Danish women.Int J Cancer. 2010; 127: 2190-2198
- Trends of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma in the Netherlands: increased incidence rates, but stable relative survival and mortality 1989-2008.Eur J Cancer. 2012; 48: 2046-2053
- Recent trends in incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancers in the East of Scotland, 1992-2003.Br J Dermatol. 2007; 156: 1295-1300
- A 10-year study of squamous cell carcinoma in Hamedan in the west of Iran (1993-2002).Int J Dermatol. 2006; 45: 37-39
- Incidence trends of keratinocytic skin cancers and melanoma in Israel 2006-11.Br J Dermatol. 2015; 172: 202-207
- Incidence and prevalence of non-melanoma skin cancer in Australia: a systematic review.Australas J Dermatol. 2015; 56: 258-267
- Trends of nonmelanoma skin cancer from 1960 through 2000 in a Canadian population.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005; 53: 320-328
- Changes in nonmelanoma skin cancer incidence between 1977-1978 and 1998-1999 in Northcentral New Mexico.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003; 12: 1105-1108
- Cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 975-983
- Basal cell carcinoma. a population-based incidence study in Rochester, Minnesota.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990; 22: 413-417
- Trends in the population-based incidence of squamous cell carcinoma of the skin first diagnosed between 1984 and 1992.Arch Dermatol. 1997; 133: 735-740
Olmsted County, Minnesota. US Census Bureau web site. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/27109. Accessed April 3, 2017.
- Generalizability of epidemiological findings and public health decisions: an illustration from the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 151-160
- Data resource profile: the Rochester Epidemiology Project (REP) medical records-linkage system.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 1614-1624
Random numbers. GraphPad Software web site. http://www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs/. Accessed April 30, 2017.
- Incidence of basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas in a population younger than 40 years.JAMA. 2005; 294: 681-690
- Basal-cell carcinoma incidence and associated risk factors in U.S. women and men.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 178: 890-897
- Trends in basal cell carcinoma incidence rates: a 37-year Dutch observational study.J Invest Dermatol. 2013; 133: 913-918
- Epidemiology of basal cell carcinoma in Lithuania, 1996-2010.Br J Dermatol. 2013; 169: 1100-1105
- Incidence of basal cell carcinoma multiplicity and detailed anatomic distribution: longitudinal study of an Australian population.J Invest Dermatol. 2009; 129: 323-328
- Differences in age, site distribution, and sex between nodular and superficial basal cell carcinoma indicate different types of tumors.J Invest Dermatol. 1998; 110: 880-884
- Trends in the incidence of basal cell carcinoma by histopathological subtype.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2011; 25: 565-569
- Associations between UVR exposure and basal cell carcinoma site and histology.Cancer Lett. 2004; 216: 191-197
- Trends in incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancers in Alberta, Canada, 1988-2007.Br J Dermatol. 2010; 163: 146-154
- Increased burden of melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer in young women.Dermatol Surg. 2014; 40: 1385-1389
Grant Support: This study was made possible by the Rochester Epidemiology Project (grant no. R01-AG034676; Principal Investigators: Walter A. Rocca, MD, MPH, and Jennifer L. St Sauver, PhD).