Atherogenic index of plasma (AIP), a logarithmically transformed ratio of triglycerides (TGs)/high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), is considered a marker of plasma atherogenicity
1based on observed strong ( r>.7), positive associations between AIP and cholesterol esterification rates, lipoprotein particle size, and remnant lipoproteinemia.
3Previous work supports the utility of this parameter, demonstrating its positive association with cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk.
5Notably, evidence indicates that AIP may be more closely associated with CVD risk than are other atherogenic indices
4or individual lipoproteins cholesterol concentrations alone.
5The purpose of the present study was to assess whether the predictive value of AIP extended to mortality risk among a sample of older US adults, when compared with individual cholesterol risk factors (eg, triglycerides, total cholesterol [TC], low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), and HDL-C) or the TG/HDL-C ratio.
3This has yet to be evaluated in the literature and is a worthwhile investigation, considering that CVD remains the leading cause of mortality among US adults.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
- AIP–atherogenic index of plasma as a significant predictor of cardiovascular risk: from research to practice.Vnitr Lek. 2006; 52 ([in Czech]): 64-71
- The plasma parameter log (TG/HDL-C) as an atherogenic index: correlation with lipoprotein particle size and esterification rate in apoB-lipoprotein-depleted plasma (FER(HDL)).Clin Biochem. 2001; 34: 583-588
- Relationship of the triglyceride to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (TG/HDL-C) ratio to the remainder of the lipid profile: the Very Large Database of Lipids-4 (VLDL-4) study.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 242: 243-250
- Atherogenic index of plasma, castelli risk index and atherogenic coefficient—new parameters in assessing cardiovascular risk.Int J Pharm Biol Sci. 2013; 3: 359-364
- Usefulness of lipid ratios and atherogenic index of plasma in obese Moroccan women with or without metabolic syndrome.Ethn Dis. 2014; 24: 207-212
© 2017 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research