Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ICD-9-CM (International Classification of Disease, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification), IV (intravenous)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Postmenopausal osteoporosis.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 254-262
- Cost and consequences of noncompliance with osteoporosis treatment among women initiating therapy.Curr Med Res Opin. 2015; 31: 757-765
The American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, the National Osteoporosis Foundation and the National Bone Health Alliance. Statement: nation's scientific and medical bone health experts call for action on dangers of not treating osteoporosis more aggressively. http://www.asbmr.org/About/PressReleases/Detail.aspx?cid=e22b66f7-337a-46f7-93cc-f6b29479b9e1. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Comparative effectiveness of pharmacologic treatments to prevent fractures: an updated systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 711-723
- Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1809-1822
- Patterns and predictors of osteoporosis medication discontinuation and switching among Medicare beneficiaries.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 112
- Trends in osteoporosis treatment with oral and intravenous bisphosphonates in the United States, 2002-2012.Bone. 2013; 57: 423-428
- Trends in media reports, oral bisphosphonate prescriptions, and hip fractures 1996-2012: an ecological analysis.J Bone Miner Res. 2015; 30: 2179-2187
Kolata G. Fearing drugs' rare side effects, millions take their chances with osteoporosis. The New York Times. June 1, 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/health/osteoporosis-drugs-bones.html. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Trends in incidence of subtrochanteric fragility fractures and bisphosphonate use among the US elderly, 1996-2007.J Bone Miner Res. 2011; 26: 553-560
Kolata G. Drug for bones is newly linked to jaw disease. The New York Times. June 2, 2006. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/02/health/02jaw.html. Accessed June 21, 2016.
Parker-Pope T. New cautions about long-term use of bone drugs. The New York Times. May 9, 2012. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/09. Accessed June 21, 2016.
Singer N. High stakes for Merck in litigation on fosamax. The New York Times. September 2, 2009. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/business/03drug.html. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons position paper on medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw–2014 update.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 72 (Erratum in: J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;73(9):1879. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;73(7):1440): 1938-1956
- Intravenous bisphosphonate therapy and inflammatory conditions or surgery of the jaw: a population-based analysis.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007; 99: 1016-1024
- Efficacy and safety of a once-yearly intravenous zoledronic acid 5 mg for fracture prevention in elderly postmenopausal women with osteoporosis aged 75 and older.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 292-299
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw in older osteoporosis patients treated with intravenous bisphosphonates.Ann Pharmacother. 2011; 45: 1199-1206
- Zoledronic acid in reducing clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1799-1809
- Nature and frequency of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw in Australia.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65: 415-423
- Bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis of the jaw.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1396-1402
- Denosumab in postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 821-831
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Checking the Cox model with cumulative sums of martingale-based residuals.Biometrika. 1993; 80: 557-572
- Evaluation of an algorithm ascertaining cases or osteonecrosis of the jaw in the Swedish National Patient Register.Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 5: 1-7
- Can health care databases be used to identify incident cases of osteonecrosis?.Arthritis Res Ther. 2009; 11: R89
- Positive predictive value of the International Classification of Diseases, 10th revision, codes to identify osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients with cancer.Cancer Epidemiol. 2012; 36: 381-383
- Bisphosphonates are associated with increased risk for jaw surgery in medical claims data: is it Osteonecrosis?.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006; 64: 917-923
- Potential and pitfalls of using large administrative claims data to study the safety of osteoporosis therapies.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2011; 13: 273-282
- Incidence of osteonecrosis of the jaw among users of bisphosphonates with selected cancers or osteoporosis.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 810-817
- Laboratory methods and biomarkers in the evaluation of bisphosphonate effects on body tissues: a literature review.J Oral Pathol Med. 2013; 42: 557-586
- Bone turnover markers: use in osteoporosis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2012; 8: 379-389
- Effect of alendronate on the age-specific incidence of symptomatic osteoporotic fractures.J Bone Miner Res. 2005; 20: 971-976
- Safety and efficacy of risedronate in reducing fracture risk in osteoporotic women aged 80 and older: implications for the use of antiresorptive agents in the old and oldest old.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1832-1839
- Reduction in the risk of clinical fractures after a single dose of zoledronic acid 5 milligrams.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 557-563
Grant support: The study was supported by grants K05-CA134923 , R24HS022134 , P30-AG024832 , and ULI-TR001439 from US Public Health Service and grant RP101207 from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas . Funders had no role in the design and conduct of the study; in the collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; in the preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and in the decision to submit the manuscript for publication.