Patients and Methods
Abbreviation and Acronym:MOC (maintenance of certification)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and PersonalCorporate R&D Professionals
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The American Board of Internal Medicine: evolving professional self-regulation.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 221-223
- Ensuring physicians' competence—is maintenance of certification the answer?.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367 ([published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 2013;368(8):781]): 2543-2549
American Board of Medical Specialties. Standards for the ABMS program for maintenance of certification (MOC): For implementation in January 2015. http://www.abms.org/media/1109/standards-for-the-abms-program-for-moc-final.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2016.
- American Board of Medical Specialties Maintenance Of Certification: theory and evidence regarding the current framework.J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2013; 33: S7-S19
- Specialty board certification in the United States: issues and evidence.J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2013; 33: S20-S35
- Considering recertification.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 946-947
- Who is maintaining certification in internal medicine—and why? A national survey 10 years after initial certification.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 29-36
- Perceived value of Board certification and the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program (MOCA®).J Clin Anesth. 2013; 25: 12-19
- Getting maintenance of certification to work: a grounded theory study of physicians' perceptions.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 35-42
- Clinical decisions: American Board of Internal Medicine maintenance of certification program.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 948-952
- The ABIM and recertification.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362 (author reply 2429-2430): 2428-2429
- Maintenance of certification.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011; 50: 584-586
- Ain't misbehavin': is it possible to criticize maintenance of certification (MOC)?.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011; 50: 587-590
- Boarded to death—why maintenance of certification is bad for doctors and patients.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 106-108
- Clinical decisions: American Board of Internal Medicine maintenance of certification program—polling results.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: e54
Physicians for Certification Change. Petitions and pledge of non-compliance. http://nomoc.org/. Accessed March 18, 2016.
Baron R. ABIM announces immediate changes to MOC program. http://www.abim.org/news/abim-announces-immediate-changes-to-moc-program.aspx. Accessed February 25, 2015.
National Board of Physicians and Surgeons website: https://nbpas.org/. Accessed March 18, 2016.
Chadwick JS. Physician survey reveals widespread dissatisfaction with maintenance of certification (MOC). https://www.pamedsoc.org/PAMED_Downloads/Quick%20Consult/QCMOC.pdf. Accessed April 22, 2016.
- Permanent pediatric diplomate awareness of and perspectives on maintenance of certification.J Pediatr. 2009; 155: 919-923.e921
American Board of Internal Medicine. All-diplomate survey: Improving the MOC assessment experience. http://transforming.abim.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/abim-survey-results-april-2016.pdf. Accessed August 19, 2016.
- Burnout among U.S. medical students, residents, and early career physicians relative to the general U.S. population.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 443-451
- Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2014.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90 ([published correction appears in Mayo Clin Proc. 2016;91(2):276]): 1600-1613
- Perspectives and preferences among the general public regarding physician selection and board certification.J Pediatr. 2010; 156 (845.e841): 841-845
- Single item measures of emotional exhaustion and depersonalization are useful for assessing burnout in medical professionals.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 1318-1321
- Handling nonresponse issues.JOE. 1983; 21: 45-50
- Physician Specialty Data Book 2014.AAMC Center for Workforce Studies, Washington, DC2014
United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service. 2013 Rural-Urban Continuum Codes. http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes.aspx. Accessed April 18, 2016.
American Board of Medical Specialties. Fact sheet: American Board of Medical Specialties. http://www.abms.org/media/100051/abms_factsheet_2016.pdf. Accessed April 14, 2016.
- Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians.J Emerg Med. 2013; 45: 935-941
Marco CA, Wahl RP, Counselman FL, et al. The American Board of Emergency Medicine ConCert™ Examination: emergency physicians' perceptions of learning and career benefits [published online ahead of print March 28, 2016]. Acad Emerg Med. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/acem.12971.
- Maintenance of certification: 20 years later.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 180-185
- Association between maintenance of certification examination scores and quality of care for medicare beneficiaries.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1396-1403
- Association between imposition of a Maintenance of Certification requirement and ambulatory care-sensitive hospitalizations and health care costs.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2348-2357
- Maintenance of certification and its association with the clinical knowledge of family physicians.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 780-787
- A cost analysis of the American Board of Internal Medicine's maintenance-of-certification program.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 401-408
- Association between physician time-unlimited vs time-limited internal medicine board certification and ambulatory patient care quality.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2358-2363
The American Board of Anesthesiology. Why is the ABA changing MOCA? http://www.theaba.org/MOCA/About-MOCA-2-0. Accessed March 18, 2016.
American Board of Obstetrics + Gynecology. ABOG begins innovative pilot program to enhance maintenance of certification process. https://www.abog.org/new/ABOG_mocimp.aspx. Accessed April 20, 2016.
- ABFM to simplify maintenance of certification (MOC) for family physicians and make it more meaningful: a family medicine registry.J Am Board Fam Med. 2015; 28: 431-433
- Measurement and correlates of physicians' lifelong learning.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 1066-1074
- Certifying the good physician: a work in progress.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2340-2342
- Self-assessment in the health professions: a reformulation and research agenda.Acad Med. 2005; 80: S46-S54
- Accuracy of physician self-assessment compared with observed measures of competence: a systematic review.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1094-1102
- Internists' attitudes about assessing and maintaining clinical competence.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 608-614
- Practicing physicians' needs for assessment and feedback as part of professional development.J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2013; 33: S54-S62
- Self-assessment of practice performance: development of the ABIM Practice Improvement Module (PIM).J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2008; 28: 38-46
For editorial comment, see page 1325