Abbreviations and Acronyms:ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices), CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), HPV (human papillomavirus)
- 1.Read the activity.
- 2.Complete the online CME Test and Evaluation. Participants must achieve a score of 80% on the CME Test. One retake is allowed.
What Factors Contribute to Modern Vaccine Hesitancy?
Success of Vaccination
Unnaturalness of Vaccination
The Nature of Scientific Evidence
The Nature of Pharmaceutical or Biological Materials
The Presence of Incipients
Loss of Public Confidence
What Is the Impact of Vaccine Hesitancy?
What Approach Shall We Take Toward Vaccine Hesitancy?
Know the Schedule
Use Every Visit to Vaccinate
Ascertain Vaccination Status
Use Standing Orders
Make Clear Recommendations
Address Hesitancy With C.A.S.E.
Pursue Reminders and Recalls
|Centers for Disease Control and Prevention||http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines|
|Immunization Action Coalition||http://www.immunize.org|
|Community Preventive Services Task Force||http://www.thecommunityguide.org/vaccines/vpd-ajpm-evrev.pdf|
|American Academy of Pediatrics immunization website||http://www2.aap.org/immunization|
|Vaccine Education Center||http://vec.chop.edu/service/vaccine-education-center/home.html|
|Vaccine Information You Need||http://www.vaccineinformation.org|
|Voices for Vaccines||http://www.voicesforvaccines.org|
Supplemental Online Material
- Measles—United States, January 4-April 2, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 373-376
- Perception of risk.Science. 1987; 236: 280-285
- The public's response to the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: e65
- Omission bias and pertussis vaccination.Med Decis Making. 1994; 14: 118-123
- Addressing the vaccine confidence gap.Lancet. 2011; 378: 526-535
- National, state, and selected local area vaccination coverage among children aged 19-35 months—United States, 2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 741-748
- Parental vaccine refusal in Wisconsin: a case-control study.WMJ. 2009; 108: 17-23
- Factors associated with refusal of childhood vaccines among parents of school-aged children: a case-control study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 470-476
- Physician response to parental requests to spread out the recommended vaccine schedule.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: 666-677
- Reviews of evidence regarding interventions to improve vaccination coverage in children, adolescents, and adults.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: 97-140
- Vaccination coverage among children in kindergarten—United States, 2013-14 school year.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 913-920
- National, regional, state, and selected local area vaccination coverage among adolescents aged 13-17 years—United States, 2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 625-633
- The problem with Dr Bob's alternative vaccine schedule.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: e164-e169
- Individual and community risks of measles and pertussis associated with personal exemptions to immunization.JAMA. 2000; 284: 3145-3150
- A systematic review of interventions for reducing parental vaccine refusal and vaccine hesitancy.Vaccine. 2013; 31: 4293-4304
- Does correcting myths about the flu vaccine work? an experimental evaluation of the effects of corrective information.Vaccine. 2015; 33: 459-464
- Nonmedical exemptions to school immunization requirements: secular trends and association of state policies with pertussis incidence.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1757-1763
- Human papillomavirus vaccination coverage among adolescent girls, 2007-2012, and postlicensure vaccine safety monitoring, 2006-2013–United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 591-595
- The validity of parental report of vaccination as a measure of a child's measles immunisation status.Med J Aust. 1991; 155 (684-686): 681
- General recommendations on immunization: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011; 60: 1-64
- Health care provider recommendation, human papillomavirus vaccination, and race/ethnicity in the US National Immunization Survey.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 164-169
- The architecture of provider-parent vaccine discussions at health supervision visits.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 1037-1046
- The C.A.S.E. approach: guidance for talking to vaccine-hesitant parents.Minn Med. 2013; 96: 49-50
- Making the C.A.S.E. for the human papillomavirus vaccine: how to talk to parents and adolescents.Minn Med. 2014; 97: 38-42
- Effectiveness of live, attenuated intranasal influenza virus vaccine in healthy, working adults: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 1999; 282: 137-144
- Patient reminder and patient recall systems to improve immunization rates.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 3: CD003941
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Jacobson serves on a safety review committee for Merck & Co for a study of human papillomavirus vaccine safety and on a data monitoring committee for studies of pneumococcal vaccine immunogenicity and safety.