Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin), NCI (National Cancer Institute)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Biomarkers: exceptional responders-discovering predictive biomarkers.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2015; 12: 132-134
- Learning from exceptional drug responders.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2014; 13: 401-402
- NCI starts ‘exceptional responder’ hunt.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2014; 13: 803
- In search of exceptional responders.Cancer Discov. 2015; 5: 8
- Cancer centers zero in on exceptional responders.Nat Biotechnol. 2014; 32 (Erratum in Nat Biotechnol. 2014;32(11):1074. Dosage error in article text): 703-704
- Cancer: a most exceptional response.Nature. 2015; 520: 389-393
- “N of 1” case reports in the era of whole-genome sequencing.J Clin Invest. 2013; 123: 4568-4570
- Mining the genomes of exceptional responders.Nat Rev Cancer. 2014; 14: 291-292
Ledford H. Cancer researchers revisit ‘failed’ clinical trials. Nature news. http://www.nature.com/news/cancer-researchers-revisit-failed-clinical-trials-1.12835. Accessed September 10, 2015.
- Response and acquired resistance to everolimus in anaplastic thyroid cancer.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1426-1433
Staff N. The Exceptional Responders Initiative: welcoming more cases. 2015. http://www.cancer.gov/news-events/nci-update/2015/exceptional-responders-initiative. Accessed April 18, 2015.
- Rev Med Liege. 2011; 66 ([in French]): 121-125
- Remarkable response to crizotinib in woman with anaplastic lymphoma kinase-rearranged anaplastic thyroid carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: e84-e87
- Radium-223 dichloride bone-targeted alpha particle therapy for hormone-refractory breast cancer metastatic to bone.Exp Hematol Oncol. 2014; 3: 23
- Dramatic response to dabrafenib and trametinib combination in a BRAF V600E-mutated cholangiocarcinoma: implementation of a molecular tumour board and next-generation sequencing for personalized medicine.Ecancermedicalscience. 2014; 8: 479
- Targeting the apoptotic pathway in chondrosarcoma using recombinant human Apo2L/TRAIL (dulanermin), a dual proapoptotic receptor (DR4/DR5) agonist.Mol Cancer Ther. 2012; 11: 2541-2546
- Induction of sustained deep molecular response in a patient with chronic-phase T315I-mutated chronic myeloid leukemia with interferon-alpha monotherapy.Leuk Lymphoma. 2014; 55: 934-937
- Targeted morphoproteomic profiling of Ewing's sarcoma treated with insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF1R) inhibitors: response/resistance signatures.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e18424
- Next generation sequencing analysis of platinum refractory advanced germ cell tumor sensitive to Sunitinib (Sutent(R)) a VEGFR2/PDGFRbeta/c-kit/ FLT3/RET/CSF1R inhibitor in a phase II trial.J Hematol Oncol. 2014; 7: 52
- Genomic correlate of exceptional erlotinib response in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.JAMA Oncol. 2015; 1: 238-244
- A novel immunomodulatory molecularly targeted strategy for refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma.Oncotarget. 2014; 5: 95-102
- Immune activation and a 9-year ongoing complete remission following CD40 antibody therapy and metastasectomy in a patient with metastatic melanoma.Cancer Immunol Res. 2014; 2: 1051-1058
- Mini-dose of thalidomide for treatment of primary myelofibrosis. Report of a case with complete reversal of bone marrow fibrosis and splenomegaly.Haematologica. 2007; 92: e15-e16
- Rationale for co-targeting IGF-1R and ALK in ALK fusion-positive lung cancer.Nat Med. 2014; 20: 1027-1034
- Salvage surgery for a super-responder by gefitinib therapy for advanced lung cancer.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012; 60: 851-854
- Phase I study of bosutinib, a src/abl tyrosine kinase inhibitor, administered to patients with advanced solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 1092-1100
- A phase I pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of CHR-3996, an oral class I selective histone deacetylase inhibitor in refractory solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 2687-2694
- Clinical activity of mTOR inhibition with sirolimus in malignant perivascular epithelioid cell tumors: targeting the pathogenic activation of mTORC1 in tumors.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 835-840
- Durable remission of leptomeningeal metastases from hormone-responsive prostate cancer.Med Oncol. 2012; 29: 806-808
- Tumor genetic analyses of patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma and extended benefit from mTOR inhibitor therapy.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 1955-1964
- Synthetic lethality in ATM-deficient RAD50-mutant tumors underlies outlier response to cancer therapy.Cancer Discov. 2014; 4: 1014-1021
- Targeted therapy by combined inhibition of the RAF and mTOR kinases in malignant spindle cell neoplasm harboring the KIAA1549-BRAF fusion protein.J Hematol Oncol. 2014; 7: 8
- Exceptional response to pazopanib in a patient with urothelial carcinoma harboring FGFR3 activating mutation and amplification.Eur Urol. 2015; 68: 168-170
- Exceptional response on addition of everolimus to taxane in urothelial carcinoma bearing an NF2 mutation.Eur Urol. 2015; 67: 1195-1196
- Activating mTOR mutations in a patient with an extraordinary response on a phase I trial of everolimus and pazopanib.Cancer Discov. 2014; 4: 546-553
- Genome sequencing identifies a basis for everolimus sensitivity.Science. 2012; 338: 221
- Five years of cancer drug approvals: innovation, efficacy, and costs.JAMA Oncol. 2015; 1: 539-540
- Surgery and radiotherapy improves survival in patients with anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: analysis of the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results 1983-2002.Am J Clin Oncol. 2008; 31: 460-464
National Cancer Institute. SEER cancer statistics review 1975-2012. seer.cancer.gov Web site. http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2012/results_merged/sect_22_pancreas.pdf. Accessed September 10, 2015.
Survival statistics for cancer of the pancreas. aboutcancer.com Web site. http://www.aboutcancer.com/pancreas3.htm. Accessed September 10, 2015.
- The accelerated approval of oncologic drugs: lessons from ponatinib.JAMA. 2014; 311: 353-354
- Leukocyte interferon-induced myeloid cytoreduction in chronic myelogenous leukemia.Blood. 1983; 62: 689-692
- Re-emergence of interferon-α in the treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia.Leukemia. 2013; 27: 803-812
- Next-generation clinical trials: novel strategies to address the challenge of tumor molecular heterogeneity.Mol Oncol. 2015; 9: 967-996
- What have we learned from exceptional tumour responses? Review and perspectives.Curr Opin Oncol. 2015; 27: 267-275
- Basket trials and the evolution of clinical trial design in an era of genomic medicine.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 975-977
- ‘Basket studies’ will hold intricate data for cancer drug approvals.Nat Med. 2013; 19: 655
- The mean does not mean as much anymore: finding subgroups for tailored therapeutics.Clin Trials. 2010; 7: 574-583
- The strength of association between surrogate end points and survival in oncology: a systematic review of trial-level meta-analyses.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1389-1398
- Lung Master Protocol (Lung-MAP)—a biomarker-driven protocol for accelerating development of therapies for squamous cell lung cancer: SWOG S1400.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 1514-1524
- Raw data from clinical trials: within reach?.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2013; 34: 645-647
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests.