Abbreviations and Acronyms:ABVD (doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, dacarbazine), BEACOPP (bleomycin, etoposide, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, vincristine, procarbazine, prednisone), FDG ([18F]-fludeoxyglucose), GHSG (German Hodgkin Study Group), MOPP (nitrogen mustard, vincristine, procarbazine, prednisone), PD-1 (programmed cell death protein 1), PET (positron emission tomography)
- 1.Read the activity.
- 2.Complete the online CME Test and Evaluation. Participants must achieve a score of 80% on the CME Test. One retake is allowed.
Diagnosis of Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Diehl V.
- Sextro M.
- Franklin J.
- et al.
Staging and Prognostic Factors
Treatment of Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Jerusalem G.
- Beguin Y.
- Fassotte M.F.
- et al.
Early-Stage Hodgkin Lymphoma With Favorable Prognostic Factors
Early-Stage Hodgkin Lymphoma With Unfavorable Prognostic Factors
- Engert A.
- Schiller P.
- Josting A.
- et al.
Advanced-Stage Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Connors J.M.
- Klimo P.
- Adams G.
- et al.
- Engert A.
- Haverkamp H.
- Kobe C.
- et al.
Reduced-intensity chemotherapy and PET-guided radiotherapy in patients with advanced stage Hodgkin's lymphoma (HD15 trial): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 non-inferiority trial.
Nodular Lymphocyte-Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma
Management of Disease Relapse
- Brice P.
- Bouabdallah R.
- Moreau P.
- et al.
- Schmitz N.
- Pfistner B.
- Sextro M.
- et al.
Aggressive conventional chemotherapy compared with high-dose chemotherapy with autologous haemopoietic stem-cell transplantation for relapsed chemosensitive Hodgkin's disease: a randomised trial.
Therapeutic Options for Disease Progression After Autologous Stem Cell Transplant
- Robinson S.P.
- Goldstone A.H.
- Mackinnon S.
- et al.
- Robinson S.P.
- Goldstone A.H.
- Mackinnon S.
- et al.
- Cancer statistics, 2015.CA Cancer J Clin. 2015; 65: 5-29
- The epidemiology of Hodgkin's disease.Baillieres Clin Haematol. 1996; 9: 401-416
- Hodgkin's disease in siblings.N Engl J Med. 1977; 296: 248-250
- Genetics of Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a review.Cancer Invest. 1992; 10: 247-256
- Concordance for Hodgkin's disease in identical twins suggesting genetic susceptibility to the young-adult form of the disease.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 413-418
- Pseudoautosomal linkage of Hodgkin disease.Am J Hum Genet. 1999; 65: 1413-1422
- Epstein-Barr viral DNA in tissues of Hodgkin's disease.Am J Pathol. 1987; 129: 86-91
- Advances in the epidemiology of HIV-associated non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and other lymphoid neoplasms.Int J Cancer. 1999; 83: 481-485
- Hodgkin's disease during HIV1 infection: the French registry experience.Ann Oncol. 1993; 4: 635-641
- Hodgkin's disease and human immunodeficiency virus infection: clinicopathologic and virologic features of 114 patients from the Italian Cooperative Group on AIDS and Tumors.J Clin Oncol. 1995; 13: 1758-1767
- Risk factors for Hodgkin's disease by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) status: prior infection by EBV and other agents.Br J Cancer. 2000; 82: 1117-1121
- Cancer statistics, 2014.CA Cancer J Clin. 2014; 64: 9-29
- Hodgkin Lymphoma.in: Jaffe E.S. Harris N.L. Stein H. Vardiman J.W. World Health Organization (WHO) Classification of Tumours: Pathology & Genetics; Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. IARC Press, Lyon, France2001: 237-253
- WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues.4th ed. IARC Press, Lyon, France2008
- Hodgkin's disease.Blood Rev. 2002; 16: 111-117
- Hodgkin's disease, lymphocyte predominance type, nodular—further evidence for a B cell derivation: L & H variants of Reed-Sternberg cells express L26, a pan B cell marker.Am J Pathol. 1988; 133: 211-217
- Clinical presentation, course, and prognostic factors in lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin's disease and lymphocyte-rich classical Hodgkin's disease: report from the European Task Force on Lymphoma Project on Lymphocyte-Predominant Hodgkin's Disease.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 776-783
- Whole-body positron emission tomography using 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose compared to standard procedures for staging patients with Hodgkin's disease.Haematologica. 2001; 86: 266-273
- Toward comprehensive management tailored to prognostic factors of patients with clinical stages I and II in Hodgkin's disease: the EORTC Lymphoma Group controlled clinical trials; 1964-1987.Blood. 1989; 73: 47-56
- Hodgkin's lymphoma: biology and treatment strategies for primary, refractory, and relapsed disease.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2003; : 225-247
- International Prognostic Factors Project on Advanced Hodgkin's Disease. A prognostic score for advanced Hodgkin's disease.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 1506-1514
- Whole-body positron emission tomography using 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose for posttreatment evaluation in Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has higher diagnostic and prognostic value than classical computed tomography scan imaging.Blood. 1999; 94: 429-433
- The role of positron emission tomography (PET) in the management of lymphoma patients.Ann Oncol. 1999; 10: 1181-1184
- FDG-PET after two cycles of chemotherapy predicts treatment failure and progression-free survival in Hodgkin lymphoma.Blood. 2006; 107: 52-59
- Early interim 2-[18F]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography is prognostically superior to international prognostic score in advanced-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma: a report from a joint Italian-Danish study.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3746-3752
- Early-stage Hodgkin's disease: long-term results with radiotherapy alone or combined radiotherapy and chemotherapy.Ann Oncol. 1994; 5: 2101-2106
- ABVD alone versus radiation-based therapy in limited-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 399-408
- ABVD plus subtotal nodal versus involved-field radiotherapy in early-stage Hodgkin's disease: long-term results.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 2835-2841
- Reduced treatment intensity in patients with early-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 640-652
- Results of a trial of PET-directed therapy for early-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1598-1607
- Involved-field radiotherapy is equally effective and less toxic compared with extended-field radiotherapy after four cycles of chemotherapy in patients with early-stage unfavorable Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of the HD8 trial of the German Hodgkin's Lymphoma Study Group.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3601-3608
- Intensified chemotherapy and dose-reduced involved-field radiotherapy in patients with early unfavorable Hodgkin's lymphoma: final analysis of the German Hodgkin Study Group HD11 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 4199-4206
- Dose-intensification in early unfavorable Hodgkin's lymphoma: final analysis of the German Hodgkin Study Group HD14 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 907-913
- Concordance between four European centres of PET reporting criteria designed for use in multicentre trials in Hodgkin lymphoma.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2010; 37: 1824-1833
- Interim analysis of the randomized Eortc/Lysa/Fil Intergroup H10 trial on early PET-scan driven treatment adaptation in stage I/II Hodgkin lymphoma [abstract].Blood. 2012; 120: 549
- Conventional-dose salvage combination chemotherapy in patients relapsing with Hodgkin's disease after combination chemotherapy: the low probability for cure.J Clin Oncol. 1992; 10: 210-218
- Chemotherapy of advanced Hodgkin's disease with MOPP, ABVD, or MOPP alternating with ABVD.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 1478-1484
- Alternating versus hybrid MOPP and ABVD combinations in advanced Hodgkin's disease: ten-year results.J Clin Oncol. 1996; 14: 1421-1430
- Treatment of advanced Hodgkin's disease with chemotherapy—comparison of MOPP/ABV hybrid regimen with alternating courses of MOPP and ABVD: a report from the National Cancer Institute of Canada clinical trials group [published correction appears in J Clin Oncol. 1997;15(7):2762].J Clin Oncol. 1997; 15: 1638-1645
- Randomized comparison of ABVD and MOPP/ABV hybrid for the treatment of advanced Hodgkin's disease: report of an intergroup trial.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 607-614
- Brief chemotherapy, Stanford V, and adjuvant radiotherapy for bulky or advanced-stage Hodgkin's disease: a preliminary report.J Clin Oncol. 1995; 13: 1080-1088
- Assessment of the Stanford V regimen and consolidative radiotherapy for bulky and advanced Hodgkin's disease: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group pilot study E1492.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 972-980
- Long-term follow-up analysis of HD9601 trial comparing ABVD versus Stanford V versus MOPP/EBV/CAD in patients with newly diagnosed advanced-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma: a study from the Intergruppo Italiano Linfomi.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 4227-4233
- Randomized comparison of the Stanford V regimen and ABVD in the treatment of advanced Hodgkin's lymphoma: United Kingdom National Cancer Research Institute Lymphoma Group Study ISRCTN 64141244.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 5390-5396
- A randomized phase III trial of ABVD vs. Stanford V +/– radiation therapy in locally extensive and advanced stage Hodgkin's lymphoma: an intergroup study coordinated by the Eastern Cooperatve Oncology Group (E2496) [abstract].Blood. 2010; 116: 415
- BEACOPP: an intensified chemotherapy regimen in advanced Hodgkin's disease.Ann Oncol. 1997; 8: 143-148
- Standard and increased-dose BEACOPP chemotherapy compared with COPP-ABVD for advanced Hodgkin's disease [published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 2005;353(7):744].N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2386-2395
- Escalated-dose BEACOPP in the treatment of patients with advanced-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma: 10 years of follow-up of the GHSG HD9 study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 4548-4554
- ABVD compared with BEACOPP compared with CEC for the initial treatment of patients with advanced Hodgkin's lymphoma: results from the HD2000 Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio dei Linfomi Trial.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 805-811
- ABVD versus BEACOPP for Hodgkin's lymphoma when high-dose salvage is planned.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 203-212
- Reduced-intensity chemotherapy and PET-guided radiotherapy in patients with advanced stage Hodgkin's lymphoma (HD15 trial): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2012; 379: 1791-1799
- Effect of initial treatment strategy on survival of patients with advanced-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 943-952
- Hodgkin's lymphoma—the great teacher [editorial].N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 264-265
- Brentuximab vedotin combined with ABVD or AVD for patients with newly diagnosed Hodgkin's lymphoma: a phase 1, open-label, dose-escalation study.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 1348-1356
- Targeted BEACOPP variants in patients with newly diagnosed advanced stage classical Hodgkin lymphoma: interim results of a randomized phase II study [abstract].Blood. 2013; 122: 4344
- Rituximab in lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin disease: results of a phase 2 trial.Blood. 2003; 101: 4285-4289
- German Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group (GHSG). Treatment of relapsed CD20+ Hodgkin lymphoma with the monoclonal antibody rituximab is effective and well tolerated: results of a phase 2 trial of the German Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group.Blood. 2003; 101: 420-424
- Hodgkin's disease.in: Cavalli F. Hansen H.H. Kaye S.B. Textbook of Medical Oncology. 2nd ed. Martin Dunitz Publishers, London, UK2000: 461-474
- Hodgkin's disease.in: De Vita V.T. Hellman S. Rosenberg S.A. Principles and Practice of Oncology. 6th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2001: 2339-2386
- Favorable outcome of patients with relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's disease treated with high-dose chemotherapy and stem cell rescue at the time of maximal response to conventional salvage therapy (Dex-BEAM).Ann Oncol. 1998; 9: 289-295
- Autotransplants for Hodgkin's disease in patients never achieving remission: a report from the Autologous Blood and Marrow Transplant Registry.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 534-545
- Société Française de Greffe de Moëlle. Prognostic factors for survival after high-dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplantation for patients with relapsing Hodgkin's disease: analysis of 280 patients from the French registry.Bone Marrow Transplant. 1997; 20: 21-26
- Dose intensification with autologous bone-marrow transplantation in relapsed and resistant Hodgkin's disease: results of a BNLI randomised trial.Lancet. 1993; 341: 1051-1054
- Aggressive conventional chemotherapy compared with high-dose chemotherapy with autologous haemopoietic stem-cell transplantation for relapsed chemosensitive Hodgkin's disease: a randomised trial.Lancet. 2002; 359: 2065-2071
- Influence of age on the outcome of 500 autologous bone marrow transplant procedures for hematologic malignancies.J Clin Oncol. 1997; 15: 18-25
- Progressive disease following autologous transplantation in patients with chemosensitive relapsed or primary refractory Hodgkin's disease or aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2003; 32: 673-679
- Vinorelbine: a new promising drug in Hodgkin's disease.Leuk Lymphoma. 1996; 22: 409-414
- Gemcitabine in the treatment of refractory Hodgkin's disease: results of a multicenter phase II study.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 2615-2619
- Chemoresistant or aggressive lymphoma predicts for a poor outcome following reduced-intensity allogeneic progenitor cell transplantation: an analysis from the Lymphoma Working Party of the European Group for Blood and Bone Marrow Transplantation.Blood. 2002; 100: 4310-4316
- Allogeneic transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells after nonmyeloablative conditioning for Hodgkin's disease: indications and results.Semin Oncol. 2004; 31: 27-32
- Brentuximab vedotin (SGN-35) for relapsed CD30-positive lymphomas.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1812-1821
- Results of a pivotal phase II study of brentuximab vedotin for patients with relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2183-2189
- Panobinostat in patients with relapsed/refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma after autologous stem-cell transplantation: results of a phase II study.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2197-2203
- A phase 2 multicenter study of lenalidomide in relapsed or refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma.Blood. 2011; 118: 5119-5125
- Everolimus for relapsed/refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma: multicenter, open-label, single-arm, phase 2 study [abstract].Blood. 2012; 120: 2740
- PD-1 blockade with nivolumab in relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 311-319
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Ansell receives research funding from Seattle Genetics, Inc , and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company .
Individual reprints of this article and a bound reprint of the entire Symposium on Neoplastic Hematology and Medical Oncology will be available for purchase from our website www.mayoclinicproceedings.org.
The Symposium on Neoplastic Hematology and Medical Oncology will continue in an upcoming issue.