Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ACPA (anticitrullinated protein antibody), CCS (Clinical Classifications Software), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), py (person-years), RA (rheumatoid arthritis), RF (rheumatoid factor), RR (rate ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in the incidence and severity of rheumatoid arthritis.J Rheumatol Suppl. 1992; 32: 71-73
- Decreases in rates of hospitalizations for manifestations of severe rheumatoid arthritis, 1983-2001.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 50: 1122-1131
- Progression of radiographic joint damage in different eras: trends towards milder disease in rheumatoid arthritis are attributable to improved treatment.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: 1192-1197
- Declines of tender and swollen joint counts between 1985 and 2001 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis seen in standard care: possible considerations for revision of inclusion criteria for clinical trials.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: 878-883
- Contemporary prevalence and incidence of work disability associated with rheumatoid arthritis in the US.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 474-480
- Occurrence of extraarticular disease manifestations is associated with excess mortality in a community-based cohort of patients with rheumatoid arthritis.J Rheumatol. 2002; 29: 62-67
- Survival in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based analysis of trends over 40 years.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 54-58
- Management of extra-articular disease manifestations in rheumatoid arthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2004; 16: 206-211
- Frequency of infection in patients with rheumatoid arthritis compared with controls: a population-based study.Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 46: 2287-2293
- Increased incidence and impact of upper and lower gastrointestinal events in patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Olmsted County, Minnesota: a longitudinal population-based study.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 1355-1362
- Comorbidities in rheumatoid arthritis.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2007; 21: 885-906
- Orthopedic surgery among patients with rheumatoid arthritis 1980-2007: a population-based study focused on surgery rates, sex, and mortality.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 481-485
- Trends in the first decade of 21st century healthcare utilisation in a rheumatoid arthritis cohort compared with the general population.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 1212-1216
- Use of a medical records linkage system to enumerate a dynamic population over time: the Rochester epidemiology project.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 1059-1068
- History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project: half a century of medical records linkage in US population.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 1202-1213
- The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1988; 31: 315-324
Elixhauser A, Steiner C, Palmer L. Clinical Classifications Software (CCS) 2014. US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccs/ccs.jsp. Accessed August 14, 2014.
- Generalizability of epidemiological findings and public health decisions: an illustration from the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 151-160
Grant Support: This work was funded by a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (grant no. R01 AR46849 ). Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute on Aging of the NIH (award no. R01AG034676 ). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH. This study was made possible by the Rochester Epidemiology Project (grant number R01-AG034676 ; Principal Investigator: Walter A. Rocca, MD, MPH, and Barbara P. Yawn, MD, MSc).