Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ATP (antitachycardia pacing), CRT-D (cardiac resynchronization therapy–defibrillator), GMA (geomagnetic activity), ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Emotional and physical precipitants of ventricular arrhythmia.Circulation. 2002; 106: 1800-1805
- Psychological distress and arrhythmia: risk prediction and potential modifiers.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2013; 55: 582-589
- Drug-induced arrhythmias.Crit Care Med. 2010; 38: S188-S197
Rozelot J-P, ed. Solar and Heliospheric Origins of Space Weather Phenomena. Berlin, Germany: Springer; 2006. Lecture Notes in Physics; vol 699.
- Sudden cardiac deaths and ventricular extrasystoles on days with four levels of geomagnetic activity.J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 1993; 4: 357-366
- The effect of geomagnetic activity on cardiovascular parameters.Biomed Pharmacother. 2002; 56: 247s-256s
- Cosmic rays activity and monthly number of deaths: a correlative study.J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2002; 13: 23-32
- Timing of life-threatening arrhythmias detected by implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in relation to changes in cosmophysical factors.Cardiol J. 2008; 15: 437-440
- Temporal relationship of implantable cardioverter defibrillator discharges and environmental physical activity.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2005; 28: 777-781
- Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and stroke (cerebrovascular accidents) in males and females above and below age 65 on days of different geomagnetic activity levels.J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 1994; 5: 315-329
- Cardiac arrhythmia and geomagnetic activity.Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2006; 6: 49-53
- Long-term outcome after ICD and CRT implantation and influence of remote device follow-up: the ALTITUDE survival study.Circulation. 2010; 122: 2359-2367
- Survival after shock therapy in implantable cardioverter-defibrillator and cardiac resynchronization therapy-defibrillator recipients according to rhythm shocked: the ALTITUDE survival by rhythm study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62: 1674-1679
National Weather Service: Space Weather Prediction Center. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov. Accessed June 1, 2014.
- Electromagnetic interference and implanted cardiac devices: the nonmedical environment (part I).Clin Cardiol. 2012; 35: 276-280
- Electromagnetic interference and implanted cardiac devices: the medical environment (part II).Clin Cardiol. 2012; 35: 321-328
- Incidence of electromagnetic interference in implantable cardioverter defibrillators.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2001; 24: 465-468
- Interference in implanted cardiac devices, Part I.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2002; 25: 1367-1381
- Interference in implanted cardiac devices, part II.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2002; 25: 1496-1509
- Clinical applications of magnets on cardiac rhythm management devices.Europace. 2011; 13: 1222-1230
- Electromagnetic interference with cardiac pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators from low-frequency electromagnetic fields in vivo.Europace. 2013; 15: 388-394
CENELEC: European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization website. http://www.cenelec.eu. Accessed May 1, 2014.
- The sensitivity of the heart to static magnetic fields.Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2005; 87: 289-320
- Cosmic radiation induced software electrical resets in ICDs during air travel.Heart Rhythm. 2008; 5: 1201-1203
- A travel alert.J Innovations Cardiac Rhythm Manage. 2013; 4: 1457-1460
- Solar-terrestrial predictions: aspects for preventive medicine.in: Solar-Terrestrial Predictions Proceedings. Vol 4. Space Environment Laboratory, Boulder CO1980: G29-G40
- Data about in-hospital cardiac arrhythmias of patients with acute myocardial infarction: abstracts of the 7-th Biannual International Symposium “Arrhythmia Lithuania 2004.”.Semin Cardiol. 2004; 19: 168
Grant Support: This study was supported, in part, by the Mayo Clinic Foundation, European Regional Development Fund Project FNUSA-ICRC CARDIO (No. CZ.1.05/1.1.00/02.0123 ), the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences ( NCATS UL1 TR000135 ), and a Boston Scientific grant for electrophysiology fellows in training.
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Jones receives a salary from Boston Scientific. Dr Powell is a consultant for Boston Scientific; is on the speaker’s bureau for Medtronic; and serves on the medical advisory board for Biotronik. Dr Hayes serves as a speaker at educational venues for Medtronic, St Jude Medical, Boston Scientific, Biotronik, and Sorin Medical; serves on the research steering committee for St Jude Medical; and receives royalties from John Wiley & Sons. Dr Friedman is a consultant for Bard Electrophysiology, Biotronik, Leadexx, Sorin Medical, and Boston Scientific and receives research grants from Medtronic and Biotronik . Dr Asirvatham is a consultant for Abiomed, Atricure, Biotronik, Biosense Webster, Boston Scientific, Medtronic, Spectranetics, St Jude Medical, Sanofi-Aventis, Wolters Kluwer, and Elsevier.