Participants and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:BMD (bone mineral density), CKD (chronic kidney disease), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), CRH (corticotropin-releasing hormone), HR (hazard ratio), ICD-9-CM (International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification), IRR (incidence rate ratio), LHID2000 (Longitudinal Health Insurance Database 2000), NHI (National Health Insurance), NHIRD (National Health Insurance Research Database), SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Depression in the United States household population, 2005-2006.NCHS Data Brief. 2008; : 1-8
- Community study of depression in old age in Taiwan: prevalence, life events and socio-demographic correlates.Br J Psychiatry. 2001; 178: 29-35
- Osteoporosis: now and the future.Lancet. 2011; 377: 1276-1287
- Epidemiology of osteoporotic fractures.Osteoporosis Int. 2005; 16: S3-S7
- Depression: a major, unrecognized risk factor for osteoporosis?.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 12: 198-203
- The “depressive” face of osteoporosis and the “osteoporotic” face of depression.Hormones (Athens). 2013; 12: 350-362
- Depression and osteoporosis: a research synthesis with meta-analysis.Horm Metab Res. 2010; 42: 467-482
- A critical review of bone mass and the risk of fractures in osteoporosis.Calcif Tissue Int. 1990; 46: 149-161
- Bone mineral density in women with depression.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 1176-1181
- Low lumbar bone mineral density in patients with major depression.Am J Psychiatry. 1994; 151: 1691-1693
- Lumbar bone mineral density in patients with major depression: evidence of increased bone loss at follow-up.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 118-120
- The association of bone mineral density and depression in an older population.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 732-736
- Depression and bone mineral density: is there a relationship in elderly Asian men? results from Mr. Os (Hong Kong).Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 610-615
- Major depression is a risk factor for low bone mineral density: a meta-analysis.Biol Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 423-432
- Depression and bone mineral density in young adults: results from NHANES III.Psychosom Med. 2004; 66: 533-537
- Association between depression and bone mineral density in community-dwelling older men and women in Korea.Maturitas. 2012; 71: 142-146
- Association of depressive symptoms with bone mineral density in older men: a population-based study.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2008; 23: 1119-1126
Introduction to the National Health Insurance Research Database (NHIRD), Taiwan. National Health Insurance Research Database website. http://w3.nhri.org.tw/nhird//date_01.html. Accessed October 25, 2014.
Longitudinal Health Insurance Database (LHID). 2014. http://nhird.nhri.org.tw/en/Data_Subsets.html#S3. Accessed October 25, 2014.
Special medical needs: catastrophic illness patients. National Health Insurance Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare website. http://www.nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/webdata.aspx?menu=11&menu_id=596&WD_ID=596&webdata_id=3180. Accessed October 25, 2014.
National Health Insurance Dispute Mediation Committee Newsletter: Criteria to Classify Patients with Major Depression as Catastrophic Illness Patients. http://www.mohw.gov.tw/MOHW_Upload/dmc_history/42.html. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- Secondary osteoporosis: diagnostic considerations.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 1998; 27: 325-348
- Antidepressant medications and osteoporosis.Bone. 2012; 51: 606-613
- Effect of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors on the risk of fracture.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 188-194
- Exposure to tricyclic and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants and the risk of hip fracture.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 77-84
- Depressive symptoms, bone loss, and fractures in postmenopausal women.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 567-574
IsHak WW, Mirocha J, James D, et al. Quality of life in major depressive disorder before/after multiple steps of treatment and one-year follow-up [published online June 23, 2014]. Acta Psychiatr Scand. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/acps.12301.
- Osteoporosis and fractures after solid organ transplantation: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 888-895
- Increased risk of dementia in patients with osteoporosis: a population-based retrospective cohort analysis.Age (Dordr). 2014; 36: 967-975
- Hyperlipidemia, statin use and the risk of developing depression: a nationwide retrospective cohort study.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2014; 36: 497-501
- Increased depression, diabetes and diabetic complications in Graves' disease patients in Asia.QJM. 2014; 107: 727-733
- Increased subsequent risk of acute coronary syndrome for patients with depressive disorder: a nationwide population-based retrospective cohort study.Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2014; 68: 263-269
- Validation of the National Health Insurance Research Database with ischemic stroke cases in Taiwan.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011; 20: 236-242
Grant Support: This work was supported by the study projects in China Medical University Hospital ( DMR-102-023 ), Taiwan Ministry of Health and Welfare Clinical Trial and Research Center of Excellence ( MOHW103-TDU-B-212-113002 ), the health and welfare surcharge of tobacco products, and China Medical University Hospital Cancer Research Center of Excellence ( MOHW103-TD-B-111-03 , Taiwan). The funders had no role in the study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.