Abbreviations and Acronyms:ENDS (electronic nicotine delivery system), NRT (nicotine replacement therapy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Perioperative abstinence from cigarettes: physiological and clinical consequences.Anesthesiology. 2006; 104: 356-367
- The attributable risk of smoking on surgical complications.Ann Surg. 2011; 254: 914-920
- Acute smoking increases ST depression in humans during general anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 1999; 89: 856-860
- The effectiveness of a perioperative smoking cessation program: a randomized clinical trial.Anesth Analg. 2013; 117: 605-613
- A perioperative smoking cessation intervention with varenicline: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Anesthesiology. 2012; 117: 755-764
- Monitoring of exhaled carbon monoxide to promote preoperative smoking abstinence.Health Psychol. 2013; 32: 714-717
- Disruptive innovations: the rise of the electronic cigarette.Int J Drug Policy. 2014; 25: 653-655
- Electronic cigarettes in North America: history, use, and implications for smoking cessation.Circulation. 2014; 129: 1945-1952
- Electronic cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy for tobacco control: a step forward or a repeat of past mistakes?.J Public Health Policy. 2011; 32: 16-31
- Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e-Cigarette) on smoking reduction and cessation: a prospective 6-month pilot study.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 786
- Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e cigarette) on desire to smoke and withdrawal, user preferences and nicotine delivery: randomised cross-over trial.Tob Control. 2010; 19: 98-103
Berg CJ, Haardoerfer R, Escoffery C, Zheng P, Kegler M. Cigarette users’ interest in using or switching to electronic nicotine delivery systems or smokeless tobacco for harm reduction, cessation, or novelty: a cross-sectional survey of U.S. adults [published online ahead of print June 20, 2014]. Nicotine Tob Res. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu103.
- The use and perception of electronic cigarettes and snus among the U.S. population.PloS One. 2013; 8: e79332
- E-cigarettes: a scientific review.Circulation. 2014; 129: 1972-1986
- Electronic cigarettes and vaping: a new challenge in clinical medicine and public health. A literature review.Front Public Health. 2013; 1: 56
- Effect of preoperative smoking cessation interventions on postoperative complications and smoking cessation.Br J Surg. 2009; 96: 451-461
- Effect of nicotine replacement therapy on stress and smoking behavior in surgical patients.Anesthesiology. 2005; 102: 1138-1146
- Perioperative smoking behavior of Chinese surgical patients.Anesth Analg. 2013; 116: 1238-1246
- ‘Vaping’ profiles and preferences: an online survey of electronic cigarette users.Addiction. 2013; 108: 1115-1125
- Smoking behavior and perceived stress in cigarette smokers undergoing elective surgery.Anesthesiology. 2004; 100: 1125-1137
- E-cigarette prevalence and correlates of use among adolescents versus adults: a review and comparison.J Psychiatr Res. 2014; 54: 43-54
- Factors associated with e-cigarette use: a national population survey of current and former smokers.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 476-480
- Electronic cigarette awareness, use history, and expected future use among hospitalized cigarette smokers.Nicotine Tob Res. 2014; 16: 1512-1517
- Understanding the potential of teachable moments: the case of smoking cessation.Health Educ Res. 2003; 18: 156-170
- Clinician-delivered intervention to faciliate tobacco quitline use by surgical patients.Anesthesiology. 2011; 114: 847-855
Dr Kadimpati is currently affiliated with Lutheran Medical Center, Seattle, WA.
Grant Support: This study was supported by Mayo Foundation , Rochester, MN.