Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:BMI (body mass index), HEI (Healthy Eating Index), HIP (Healthy Incentive Pilot), MEC (mobile examination center), NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), PIR (poverty-income ratio), SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), SNAP-Ed (SNAP education program), SSB (sugar-sweetened beverage), USDA (US Department of Agriculture), WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
US Department of Agriculture. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Participation and Costs. 2013. http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap. Accessed November 18, 2013.
- Building a Healthy America: A Profile of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.US Dept of Agriculture, Washington, DC2012
- Does the food stamp program cause obesity? a realist review and a call for place-based research.Health Place. 2012; 18: 747-756
- The effects of food stamps on obesity.South Econ J. 2011; 77: 623-651
- The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, soda, and USDA policy: who benefits?.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1370-1371
US Department of Agriculture. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: A Short History of SNAP. 2013. http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/short-history-snap. Accessed November 15, 2013.
- Dietary intake and dietary quality of low-income adults in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 977-988
- American adults eligible for the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program consume more sugary beverages than ineligible adults.Prev Med (Baltim). 2013; 57: 894-899
- The effect of income and food programs on dietary qualit: a seemingly unrelated regression analysis with error components.Am J Agriculgural Econ. 1999; 81: 959-971
- Dietary effects of the food stamp program.Agric Appl Econ Assoc. 1991; 73: 202-211
- Healthy Eating Index 2010.Appl Res Progr Risk Factor Monit Methods. 2012; (Accessed October 30, 2013.)
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.7th ed. US Dept of Agriculture, Washington, DC2010Accessed October 30, 2013.)
- Ethnic differences in dairy and related nutrient consumption among US adults and their association with obesity, central obesity, and the metabolic syndrome.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 1914-1925
- Dietary fat consumption and health.Nutr Rev. 1998; 56: 3-19
- Dietary fat intake and the risk of coronary heart disease in women.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1491-1499
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes: epidemiologic evidence.Physiol Behav. 2010; 100: 47-54
- How sweet it is: sugar-sweetened beverage consumption, obesity, and cardiovascular risk in childhood.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1456-1460
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease risk.Circulation. 2010; 121: 1356-1364
- Reduction in consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages is associated with weight loss: the PREMIER trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89 (1299–206)
- A meta-analysis of obesity and the risk of pancreatic cancer.Br J Cancer. 2003; 89: 519-523
- Body-mass index and mortality among 1.46 million white adults.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2211-2219
- Healthy living is the best revenge: findings from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition-Potsdam Study.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1355-1362
- American Cancer Society Guidelines on nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity.CA Cancer J Clin. 2012; 62: 30-67
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: analytic guidelines, 1999–2010.Vital Health Stat. 2013; 2 (Accessed October 20, 2013.)
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. 2013. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm. Accessed May 12, 2013.
US Department of Agriculture. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). 2013. http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap. Accessed January 21, 2014.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): MEC in-person dietary interviewers procedures manual. 2008. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_07_08/manual_dietarymec.pdf. Accessed October 10, 2013.
- Diet Quality of Americans in 2001-02 and 2007-08 as Measured by the Healthy Eating Index-2010: Nutrition Insight 51.Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA2013: 569-580
- A population’s mean Healthy Eating Index-2005 scores are best estimated by the score of the population ratio when one 24-hour recall is available.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 1725-1729
US Census Bureau. Current Population Survey Definitions. 2014. http://www.census.gov/cps/about/cpsdef.html. Accessed April 1, 2014.
- Obesity and Overweight: Fact Sheet No. 311.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2013
- Weekend eating in the United States is linked with greater energy, fat, and alcohol intake.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 945-949
- Effects of Food Assistance and Nutrition Programs on Nutrition and Health: Volume 4, Executive Summary of the Literature Review.US Dept of Agriculture, Washington DC2004
- Changes in Eating Patterns and Diet Quality Among Working-Age Adults, 2005-2010.US Dept of Agriculture, Washington, DC2014 (Economic Research Report 161)
- Food prices and obesity: evidence and policy implications for taxes and subsidies.Milbank Q. 2009; 87: 229-257
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education Guidance: Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Grant Program.US Dept of Agriculture, Washington, DC2013
- Improving food choices: can food stamps do more?.Amber Waves. 2007; 5: 22-28
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education and Evaluation Study (Wave II).Altarum Institute, Ann Arbor, MI2013
Marcus EN. Access to Good Food as Preventive Medicine. 2014. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/04/access-to-good-food-as-preventive-medicine/360049/. Accessed April 13, 2014.
- Healthy Incentives Pilot (HIP) Interim Report.US Dept of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Research and Analysis, Alexandria, VA2013
- Validation of a method for the estimation of food portion size.Epidemiology. 1992; 3: 379-382
- What are people really eating? the relation intake derived from estimated diet records and intake determined to maintain body weight.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 54: 291-295
- Dietary methods research in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: underreporting of energy intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 65: 1203S-1209S
- Consumption patterns of sugar-sweetened beverages in the United States.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 43-53
- A comparison of dietary trends among racial and socioeconomic groups in the United States.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 716-720