Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ADT (androgen-deprivation therapy), CLPC (clinically localized prostate cancer), HR (hazard ratio), SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics [published correction appears in CA Cancer J Clin. 2011;61(2):134].CA Cancer J Clin. 2011; 61: 69-90
- Multivitamins in the prevention of cancer in men: the Physicians' Health Study II randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1871-1880
- Racial differences in mortality among Medicare recipients after treatment for localized prostate cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003; 95: 1702-1710
American Cancer Society. Cancer facts and figures 2008. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@nho/documents/document/2008cafffinalsecuredpdf.pdf. Accessed June 1, 2013.
National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Program. www.seer.cancer.gov. Accessed June 1, 2013.
National Cancer Institute. SEER*Stat software: version 8.0.2. February 19, 2013. Seer.cancer.gov/seersat. Accessed June 1, 2013.
- Racial/ethnic disparities in access to care and survival for patients with early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma.Arch Surg. 2010; 145: 1158-1163
- Racial disparity and socioeconomic status in association with survival in older men with local/regional stage prostate carcinoma: findings from a large community-based cohort.Cancer. 2006; 106: 1276-1285
- Stage at diagnosis and survival in a multiethnic cohort of prostate cancer patients.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1753-1759
- Poor survival for US Pacific Islander cancer patients: evidence from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database: 1991 to 2004.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 5738-5741
- Effect of age and race on the survival of men with prostate cancer in the Metropolitan Detroit tricounty area, 1973 to 1987.Urology. 1995; 45: 93-101
- Survival differences among Asian subpopulations in the United States after prostate, colorectal, breast, and cervical carcinomas.Cancer. 2002; 94: 1175-1182
- Differences in prognostic factors and survival among white and Asian men with prostate cancer, California, 1995-2004.Cancer. 2007; 110: 1255-1263
- Differences in socioeconomic status and survival among white and black men with prostate cancer.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 151: 409-416
- Association of African-American ethnic background with survival in men with metastatic prostate cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001; 93: 219-225
- Race, prostate cancer survival, and membership in a large health maintenance organization.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998; 90: 986-990
- Removal of the financial barrier to health care: does it impact on prostate cancer at presentation and survival? a comparative study between black and white men in a Veterans Affairs system.Urology. 1995; 46: 825-830
- Impact of socioeconomic status and race on clinical parameters of patients undergoing radical prostatectomy in an equal access health care system.Urology. 2000; 56: 1016-1020
- Cancer disparities by race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status.CA Cancer J Clin. 2004; 54: 78-93
- Racial and ethnic differences in advanced-stage prostate cancer: the Prostate Cancer Outcomes Study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001; 93: 388-395
- Geographic patterns of prostate cancer mortality and variations in access to medical care in the United States.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005; 14: 590-595
- Survival of blacks and whites after a cancer diagnosis.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2106-2113
- Cancer health disparities among Indian and Pakistani immigrants in the United States: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results-based study from 1988 to 2003.Cancer. 2008; 113: 1423-1430
- Survival following primary androgen deprivation therapy among men with localized prostate cancer [published correction appears in JAMA. 2009;301(1):38].JAMA. 2008; 300: 173-181
- Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) 90203: a randomized phase 3 study of radical prostatectomy alone versus estramustine and docetaxel before radical prostatectomy for patients with high-risk localized disease.Urology. 2003; 62: 55-62
- Early versus delayed hormonal therapy for prostate specific antigen only recurrence of prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy.J Urol. 2004; 171: 1141-1147