Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:NP (nurse practitioner), PA (physician assistant)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A national view of rural health workforce issues in the USA.Rural Remote Health. 2010; 10: 1531
- The Complexities of Physician Supply and Demand: Projections Through 2025.American Association of Medical Colleges, Washington, DCNovember 2008
American Academy of Family Practice, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Physicians, American Osteopathic Association. Joint Principles of the Patient Centered Medical Home. 2007; http://www.acponline.org/acp_policy/policies/joint_principles_pcmh_2007.pdf. Accessed September 19, 2013.
American Academy of Physician Assistants website. http://www.aapa.org. Accessed June 13, 2013.
American College of Nurse Practitioners website. http://www.acnpweb.org. Accessed June 13, 2013.
Making the numbers count. Center for Health Professions, University of California at San Francisco website. http://futurehealth.ucsf.edu/Public/Publications-and-Resources/Content.aspx?topic=Making_the_Numbers_Count. Published September 1, 2012. Accessed June 13, 2013.
- A systemic approach to containing health care spending.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 949-954
- Broadening the scope of nursing practice.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 193-196
- Putting aside preconceptions—time for dialogue among primary care clinicians.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1933-1934
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants in primary care.Dis Mon. 2008; 54: 728-744
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants as primary care providers in institutional settings.Inquiry. 1998-1999; 35: 432-446
- Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; : CD001271
- The use of nonphysician providers in adult intensive care units.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 185: 600-605
- Impact of nonphysician staffing on outcomes in a medical ICU.Chest. 2011; 139: 1347-1353
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants in the intensive care unit: an evidence-based review.Crit Care Med. 2008; 36: 2888-2897
- Primary care clinicians' experiences with treatment decision making for older persons with multiple conditions.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 75-80
- Treatment decisions for complex patients: differences between primary care physicians and midlevel providers.Am J Manag Care. 2009; 15: 373-380
- The future of general internal medicine. Report and recommendations from the Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM) Task Force on the Domain of General Internal Medicine.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19: 69-77
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Utilization of PAs and NPs at a level I trauma center: effects on outcomes.JAAPA. 2011; 24 (40-43): 34
- EDOU staffing by PAs: what are the effects on patient outcomes?.JAAPA. 2011; 24 (37): 31-34
- Physician assistant and nurse practitioner utilization in academic medical centers.Am J Med Qual. 2011; 26: 452-460
Grant Support: This work was financially supported by the Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic , Rochester, MN.