Abbreviations and Acronyms:AAN (American Academy of Neurology), AIS (acute ischemic stroke), ET (endovascular therapy), IMS (Interventional Management of Stroke), IV (intravenous), mRS (modified Rankin Scale), MR-RESCUE (Mechanical Retrieval and Recanalization of Stroke Clots Using Embolectomy), NIHSS (National Institute of Health Stroke Scale), RCT (randomized controlled trial), RR (risk ratio), sICH (symptomatic intracranial hemorrhage), tPA (tissue plasminogen activator)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics–2012 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2012; 125: 188-197
- Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1581-1587
- The impact of recanalization on ischemic stroke outcome: a meta-analysis.Stroke. 2007; 38: 967-973
- Endovascular treatment for acute ischemic stroke–still unproven.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 952-955
Nam J, Jing H, O'Reilly D. Intra-arterial thrombolysis vs. standard treatment or intravenous thrombolysis in adults with acute ischemic stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis [published online ahead of print January 7, 2013]. Int J Stroke. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-4949. 2012.00914.x. Accessed August 28, 2013.
- Endovascular therapy after intravenous t-PA versus t-PA alone for stroke.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 893-903
- Endovascular treatment for acute ischemic stroke.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 904-913
- A trial of imaging selection and endovascular treatment for ischemic stroke.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 914-923
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
University of York, Center for Reviews and Dissemination. PROSPERO: International prospective register of systematic reviews. http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.asp?ID=CRD42013003838. Accessed August 2013.
- Coefficient of agreement for nominal scales educational and psychological measurement.Educ Psychol Meas. 1960; 20: 37-46
- Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients.Stroke. 1988; 19: 604-607
- Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?.Control Clin Trials. 1996; 17: 1-12
- Reported methodologic quality and discrepancies between large and small randomized trials in meta-analyses.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 135: 982-989
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0. [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011Accessed August 28, 2013)
- Comparison of intravenous alteplase with a combined intravenous-endovascular approach in patients with stroke and confirmed arterial occlusion (RECANALISE study): a prospective cohort study.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 802-809
- “Picture to puncture”: a novel time metric to enhance outcomes in patients transferred for endovascular reperfusion in acute ischemic stroke.Circulation. 2013; 127: 1139-1148
- Levels of evidence: taking neurology to the next level.Neurology. 2009; 72: 8-10
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Intra-arterial or intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke? the SYNTHESIS pilot trial.J Neurointerv Surg. 2010; 2: 74-79
- IV vs. IA TPA in acute ischemic stroke with CT angiographic evidence of major vessel occlusion: a feasibility study.Neurocrit Care. 2009; 11: 76-81
- Review Manager (RevMan). 5.1.Nordic Cochrane Centre, Cochrane Collaboration, Copenhagen2011
- Publication and related bias in meta-analysis: power of statistical tests and prevalence in the literature.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 1119-1129
- Trevo versus Merci retrievers for thrombectomy revascularisation of large vessel occlusions in acute ischaemic stroke (TREVO 2): a randomised trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1231-1240
- Solitaire flow restoration device versus the Merci retriever in patients with acute ischaemic stroke (SWIFT): a randomised, parallel-group, non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1241-1249
- Advanced modality imaging evaluation in acute ischemic stroke may lead to delayed endovascular reperfusion therapy without improvement in clinical outcomes.J Neurointerv Surg. 2013; 5: i62-i65
- Comparison of stent-retriever devices versus the Merci retriever for endovascular treatment of acute stroke.Am J Neuroradiol. 2013; 34: 366-372
Grant Support: This work was supported by CTSA grant UL1 TR000135 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences , a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The contents of this article are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of the NIH.