Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ICU (intensive care unit), LOS (length of stay), MR (mitral regurgitation), PCU (progressive care unit)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Transforming clinical trials in cardiovascular disease: mission critical for health and economic well-being.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1743-1744
- Innovations in care delivery to slow growth of US health spending.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1439-1440
Orszag PR. How health care can save or sink America: the case for reform and fiscal sustainability. Foreign Affairs website. http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/67918/peter-r-orszag/how-health-care-can-save-or-sink-america. Published July/August 2011. Accessed January 1, 2013.
- Quantitative determinants of the outcome of asymptomatic mitral regurgitation.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 875-883
- Association between early surgical intervention vs watchful waiting and outcomes for mitral regurgitation due to flail mitral valve leaflets.JAMA. 2013; 310: 609-616
- Robotic mitral valve repair: experience with the da Vinci system.Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 75: 438-442
- Robotic mitral valve surgery: a United States multicenter trial.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005; 129: 1395-1404
- Minimally-invasive valve surgery.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 455-462
- Quality of life after early mitral valve repair using conventional and robotic approaches.Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 93: 761-769
- Use of lean and six sigma methodology to improve operating room efficiency in a high-volume tertiary-care academic medical center.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 213: 83-92
- The central role of the propensity score in observational studies for causal effects.Biometrika. 1983; 70: 41-55
- ACC/AHA 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (writing committee to revise the 1998 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease): developed in collaboration with the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists: endorsed by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.Circulation. 2006; 114 ([published corrections appear in Circulation. 2007;115(15):e409 and Circulation. 2010;121(23):e443]): e84-e231
- Robotic mitral valve repair for all categories of leaflet prolapse: improving patient appeal and advancing standard of care.Mayo Clin Proc. 2011; 86: 838-844
- Robotic mitral valve repair for all prolapse subsets using techniques identical to open valvuloplasty: establishing the benchmark against which percutaneous interventions should be judged.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011; 142: 970-979
- Lifetime costs of medical care after heart failure diagnosis.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011; 4: 68-75
- Direct medical costs in patients with fibromyalgia: cost of illness and impact of a brief multidisciplinary treatment program.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 90: 40-46
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Berenson-Eggers Type of Service (BETOS). CMS.gov website. http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/HCPCSReleaseCodeSets/BETOS.html. Accessed September 1, 2012.
- How to solve the cost crisis in health care.Harv Bus Rev. 2011; 89 (54, 56-61 passim): 46-52
- New technology and health care costs—the case of robot-assisted surgery.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 701-704
- What is value in health care?.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2477-2481
- The lottery of mitral valve repair surgery.Heart. 2010; 96: 1964-1967
- Trends in mitral valve surgery in the United States: results from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 87: 1431-1437
- Minimally invasive cardiac valve surgery improves patient satisfaction while reducing costs of cardiac valve replacement and repair.Ann Surg. 1997; 226: 421-426
- Minimally invasive valve operations.Ann Thorac Surg. 1998; 65: 1535-1538
- A minimally invasive approach is more cost-effective than a traditional sternotomy approach for mitral valve surgery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011; 142: 1507-1514
Potential Competing Interests: The authors report no competing interests related to this study. Other research relationships with Sorin, St. Jude, Edwards and Abbott.