Abbreviations and Acronyms:FTND (Fagerström Test for Nicotine Dependence)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1238-1245
- Smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and productivity losses—United States, 2000-2004.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 1226-1228
- The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General.US Dept of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA2004 (DHHS Publication (CDC) 90-8416)
- An official American Thoracic Society workshop report: tobacco control initiatives within the American Thoracic Society.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2010; 7: 1-7
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update: Clinical Practice Guideline.US Dept of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Rockville, MD2008
- Hodgkin J.E. Celli B.R. Connors G.L. Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Guidelines to Success. 4th ed. Mosby Elsevier, St. Louis, MO2009
- American College of Chest Physicians Tobacco-Dependence Treatment Tool Kit.3rd ed. American College of Chest Physicians, Northbrook, IL2009
- Cost-effectiveness of treating nicotine dependence: the Mayo Clinic experience.Mayo Clin Proc. 1997; 72: 917-924
- Cost-effectiveness of the AHCPR guidelines for smoking.JAMA. 1998; 279: 836-837
- Cost-effectiveness of the clinical practice recommendations in the AHCPR guideline for smoking cessation.JAMA. 1997; 278: 1759-1766
- Shape of the relapse curve and long-term abstinence among untreated smokers.Addiction. 2004; 99: 29-38
- Inpatient treatment of severe nicotine dependence.Mayo Clin Proc. 1992; 67: 823-828
- Manual for the Beck Depression Inventory - II.Psychological Corp, San Antionio, TX1996
- The Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence: a revision of the Fagerstrom Tolerance Questionnaire.Br J Addict. 1991; 86: 1119-1127
- Tobacco withdrawal symptoms: an experimental analysis.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1984; 84: 231-236
- Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change.2nd ed. Guilford Press, New York, NY2002
- Acute effects of transdermal nicotine on sleep architecture, snoring, and sleep-disordered breathing in nonsmokers.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994; 150: 469-474
- Measures of abstinence in clinical trials: issues and recommendations.Nicotine Tob Res. 2003; 5: 13-25
- “Tobacco Free With FDNY”: the New York City Fire Department World Trade Center Tobacco Cessation Study.Chest. 2006; 129: 979-987
- Triple-combination pharmacotherapy for medically ill smokers: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 447-454
- Residential (inpatient) treatment compared with outpatient treatment for nicotine dependence.Mayo Clin Proc. 2001; 76: 124-133
- Residential treatment compared with outpatient treatment for tobacco use and dependence.Mayo Clin Proc. 2011; 86: 203-209
- High rate of smoking abstinence in COPD patients: smoking cessation by hospitalization.Nicotine Tob Res. 2008; 10: 883-890
- Predictors of 12-month outcome in smokers who received bupropion sustained-release for smoking cessation.CNS Drugs. 2008; 22: 239-256
- Behavioral counseling and varenicline treatment for smoking cessation.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 482-490
- High-dose nicotine patch therapy: percentage of replacement and smoking cessation.JAMA. 1995; 274: 1353-1358
- Symptoms of tobacco withdrawal from total cigarette cessation versus partial cigarette reduction.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1988; 94: 242-247
- Serum nicotine and cotinine levels during nicotine-patch therapy.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1993; 54: 98-106
- Application of serum nicotine and plasma cotinine concentrations to assessment of nicotine replacement in light, moderate, and heavy smokers undergoing transdermal therapy.J Clin Pharmacol. 1998; 38: 502-509
- Tobacco dependence treatment: time to change the paradigm.Chest. 2006; 129: 836-839
- Higher dosage nicotine patches increase one-year smoking cessation rates: results from the European CEASE trial.Eur Respir J. 1999; 13: 238-246
- Varenicline and bupropion sustained-release combination therapy for smoking cessation.Nicotine Tob Res. 2009; 11: 234-239
Ms Waldron is currently with Columbia River Mental Health Services, Vancouver, WA.
Grant Support: This work was supported by St. Helena Hospital , using funds generously donated by Tim Mondavi.
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Hodgkin has had a contract with the St. Helena Center for Health since 1983, and Ms Titus has been an employee of the St. Helena Center for Health since 2001. Dr Sachs and Ms Sachs had a consulting contract with St. Helena Hospital from 2005 to 2006. Waldron the Columbia River Mental Health Services, Vancouver, WA. Dr Sachs served as an adviser to Pfizer in various capacities from 2005 to 2009. Dr Sachs also served as a site principal investigator for Pfizer for 2 separate varenicline studies and received research funding to conduct these studies from 2003 to 2007. Dr Sachs served on a speaker's bureau for Pfizer from 2007 to 2008. Dr Swan served as an adviser to Pfizer for a 1-day meeting in June 2008. For a National Cancer Institute–funded smoking cessation trial, Dr Swan received in-kind contribution from Pfizer of varenicline (2006) and nominal supplemental funding to partially defray participant recruitment costs (2007).