Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ICU (intensive care unit), LVAD (left ventricular assist device), NCS (noncardiac surgery), RBC (red blood cell)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Implantable left ventricular assist devices.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 1522-1533
- Ventricular assist devices: the challenges of outpatient management.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 54: 1647-1659
- Chronic mechanical circulatory support for inotrope-dependent heart failure patients who are not transplant candidates: results of the INTrEPID Trial.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 50: 741-747
- Long-term use of a left ventricular assist device for end-stage heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1435-1443
- Extended mechanical circulatory support with a continuous-flow rotary left ventricular assist device.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 54: 312-321
- Noncardiac surgery in long-term implantable left ventricular assist-device recipients.Ann Surg. 1995; 222: 203-207
- Evolution of general surgical problems in patients with left ventricular assist devices.Surgery. 2012; 152: 896-902
- The anesthetic considerations in patients with ventricular assist devices presenting for noncardiac surgery: a review of eight cases.Anesth Analg. 2002; 95: 42-49
- Non-cardiac surgery in patients on long-term left ventricular assist device support.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2012; 31: 757-763
- Perioperative considerations in the patient with a left ventricular assist device.Anesthesiology. 2003; 98: 565-570
- Perioperative management of a patient with a nonpulsatile left ventricular-assist device presenting for noncardiac surgery.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2010; 24: 820-823
- Transesophageal echocardiography in a patient in hemodynamic compromise after Jarvik 2000 implantation: the suckdown effect.Anesth Analg. 2008; 107: 791-792
- Orthotopic heart transplant versus left ventricular assist device: a national comparison of cost and survival.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 145: 566-574
- Fifth INTERMACS annual report: risk factor analysis from more than 6,000 mechanical circulatory support patients.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2013; 32: 141-156
- Second INTERMACS annual report: more than 1,000 primary left ventricular assist device implants.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2010; 29: 1-10
- Morbidity and mortality in heart transplant candidates supported with mechanical circulatory support: is reappraisal of the current United Network for Organ Sharing thoracic organ allocation policy justified?.Circulation. 2013; 127: 452-462
- Management of general surgical problems in patients with left ventricular assist devices.Am Surg. 2006; 72: 158-161
- Low thromboembolism and pump thrombosis with the HeartMate II left ventricular assist device: analysis of outpatient anti-coagulation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009; 28: 881-887
- Low thromboembolic risk for patients with the Heartmate II left ventricular assist device.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 136: 1318-1323
- Elective noncardiac surgery in patients with left ventricular assist devices.J Cardiac Surg. 2012; 27: 639-642
- What is the optimal anticoagulation in patients with a left ventricular assist device?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012; 15: 733-740
- Noncardiac surgical procedures in patient supported with long-term implantable left ventricular assist device.Am J Surg. 2009; 197: 710-714
- Noncardiac operations in patients supported with mechanical circulatory support devices.J Am Coll Surg. 1994; 179: 318-320
- Noncardiac surgery in patients with left ventricular assist devices.Surgery. 2001; 129: 440-444
For editorial comment, see page 641.
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Park is a consultant for Thoratec Corporation.