Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:CCC (clinical classification code), ICD-9 (International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision), REP (Rochester Epidemiology Project)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Out-of-pocket medical spending for care of chronic conditions.Health Aff (Millwood). 2001; 20: 267-278
- Effect of multiple chronic conditions among working-age adults.Am J Manag Care. 2011; 17: 118-122
- Multiple chronic conditions: prevalence, health consequences, and implications for quality, care management, and costs.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 391-395
- Cost-effectiveness of a multicondition collaborative care intervention: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012; 69: 506-514
- The PROMETHEUS bundled payment experiment: slow start shows problems in implementing new payment models.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 2116-2124
- The future of health information technology in the patient-centered medical home.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 614-621
- Generalizability of epidemiological findings and public health decisions: an illustration from the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 151-160
- Use of a medical records linkage system to enumerate a dynamic population over time: the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 1059-1068
- History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Mayo Clin Proc. 1996; 71: 266-274
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey HC-120, Appendix 3: Clinical Classification Code to ICD-9-CM Code Crosswalk. MEPS website. http://meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/data_stats/download_data/pufs/h120/h120_icd9codes.shtml. Accessed February 7, 2011.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project: Clinical Classifications Software (CCS) for ICD-9-CM. HCUP website. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccs/ccs.jsp. Updated August 30, 2012. Accessed February 1, 2012.
- A new comorbidity index: the health-related quality of life comorbidity index.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 309-319
- A Dictionary of Epidemiology.5th ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England2008
- On epidemiologic surveys.Am J Epidemiol. 1983; 118: 613-619
- Boundaries of statistical inference.in: Johnson N.L. Smith H. New Developments in Survey Sampling. Wiley-Interscience, New York1969: 652-670
- Incidence of dementia and Alzheimer's disease: a reanalysis of data from Rochester, Minnesota, 1975-1984.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 148: 51-62
Small area income and poverty estimates: state and county estimates for 2009. United States Census Bureau website. http://www.census.gov/did/www/saipe/data/statecounty/data/2009.html. Updated November 29, 2011. Accessed August 1, 2012.
US Census Bureau. 2010 Demographic Profile Data, Olmsted County, MN. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk. Accessed November 21, 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Prevalence of hypertension and controlled hypertension—United States, 2005-2008.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2011; 60: 94-97
- Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States: Part II.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 26-35
- Actinic keratosis: facts and controversies.Clin Dermatol. 2010; 28: 249-253
- Teledermatology applied following patient selection by general practitioners in daily practice improves efficiency and quality of care at lower cost.Br J Dermatol. 2011; 165: 1058-1065
- Epidemiology of osteoarthritis.Clin Geriatr Med. 2010; 26: 355-369
- The evolving role of obesity in knee osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2010; 22: 533-537
- Back pain prevalence and visit rates: estimates from U.S. national surveys, 2002.Spine (Phila PA 1976). 2006; 31: 2724-2727
- The outcomes and costs of care for acute low back pain among patients seen by primary care practitioners, chiropractors, and orthopedic surgeons: the North Carolina Back Pain Project.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 913-917
- Comparison of stratified primary care management for low back pain with current best practice (STarT Back): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1560-1571
- Clinical Efficacy Assessment Subcommittee of the American College of Physicians; American College of Physicians; American Pain Society Low Back Pain Guidelines Panel. Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain: a joint clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society [published correction appears in Ann Intern Med. 2008;148(3):247-248].Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 478-491
- Vital signs: prevalence, treatment, and control of high levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol—United States, 1999-2002 and 2005-2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 109-114
- American College of Cardiology Foundation; American Heart Association. Implications of recent clinical trials for the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III guidelines.Circulation. 2004; 110: 227-239
- Nurse-run, telephone-based outreach to improve lipids in people with diabetes.Am J Manag Care. 2012; 18: 77-84
- The burden of allergic rhinitis.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2007; 28: 3-9
- Allergic rhinitis: direct and indirect costs.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2010; 31: 375-380
- The atopic march: what's the evidence?.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2009; 103: 282-289
- Incidence of traumatic brain injury across the full disease spectrum: a population-based medical record review study.Epidemiology. 2011; 22: 836-844
- Accuracy of hospital discharge abstracts for identifying stroke.Stroke. 1994; 25: 2348-2355
- Identifying in-hospital venous thromboembolism (VTE): a comparison of claims-based approaches with the Rochester Epidemiology Project VTE cohort.Med Care. 2008; 46: 127-132
- Coronary disease surveillance in Olmsted County objectives and methodology.J Clin Epidemiol. 2002; 55: 593-601
- Comparing shingles incidence and complication rates from medical record review and administrative database estimates: how close are they?.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 174: 1054-1061
- Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication [published correction appears in Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62(7):768].Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 593-602
2011 National Diabetes Fact Sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/estimates11.htm#1. Updated May 23, 2011. Accessed February 8, 2012.
- Asthma prevalence, health care use, and mortality: United States, 2005-2009.Natl Health Stat Report. 2011; 32: 1-14
- Estimated prevalence and patterns of presumed osteoporosis among older Americans based on Medicare data.Osteoporos Int. 2009; 20: 1507-1515
Cancer prevalence: how many people have cancer? American Cancer Society website. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerbasics/cancer-prevalence. Updated October 18, 2011. Accessed February 2, 2012.
HIV/AIDS prevalence and mortality tables - 2010. Minnesota Department of Health website. http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/hiv/stats/pmtables2010.html#table1. Updated April 30, 2012. Accessed February 8, 2012.
Occupational Employment Statistics: May 2011 metropolitan and nonmetropolitan area occupational employment and wage estimates; Rochester, MN. US Bureau of Labor Statistics website. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_40340.htm#29-0000. Updated March 27, 2012. Accessed August 1, 2012.
Occupational Employment Statistics: May 2011 national occupational employment and wage estimates by ownership; cross-industry, private ownership only. US Bureau of Labor Statistics website. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/000001.htm. Updated March 29, 2012. Accessed August 1, 2012.
Grant Support: This study was made possible by the Rochester Epidemiology Project (grant number R01-AG034676 ; Principal Investigators: Walter A. Rocca, MD, MPH, and Barbara P. Yawn, MD, MSc). This project was also supported by funding from the Mayo Clinic Center for Translational Science Activities ( UL1 RR024150 ).