Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:AJCC (American Joint Committee on Cancer), BCSM (breast cancer–specific mortality), DRFS (distant relapse-free survival), ER (estrogen receptor), FDSCC (Fudan University Shanghai Cancer Center), HR (hazard ratio), LN (lymph node), NCT (neoadjuvant chemotherapy), pCR (pathological complete remission), PR (progesterone receptor), RFS (relapse-free survival), SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Meeting highlights: international expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer 2005.Ann Oncol. 2005; 16: 1569-1583
- Revision of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 3628-3636
- Relation of tumor size, lymph node status, and survival in 24,740 breast cancer cases.Cancer. 1989; 63: 181-187
- Ten-year outcomes in a population-based cohort of node-negative, lymphatic, and vascular invasion-negative early breast cancers without adjuvant systemic therapies.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 1630-1637
- Systemic spread is an early step in breast cancer.Cancer Cell. 2008; 13: 58-68
- Effect of very small tumor size on cancer-specific mortality in node-positive breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2619-2627
- The Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results program: a national resource.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1999; 8: 1117-1121
- A prognostic model to predict outcome of patients failing to achieve pathological complete response after anthracycline-containing neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer.J Surg Oncol. 2012; 105: 577-585
- Is cancer a disease of self-seeding?.Nat Med. 2006; 12: 875-878
- From latent disseminated cells to overt metastasis: genetic analysis of systemic breast cancer progression.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 7737-7742
- Clinical and pathological characteristics of occult breast cancer and review of the literature.J BUON. 2011; 16: 434-436
- Breast cancer tumor size, nodal status, and prognosis: biology trumps anatomy.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2610-2612
- Cancer statistics, 2010.CA Cancer J Clin. 2010; 60: 277-300
- An estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer subset characterized by a hormonally regulated transcriptional program and response to androgen.Oncogene. 2006; 25: 3994-4008
Grant Support: This research was supported by grants 30971143 , 30972936 , and 81001169 from the National Natural Science Foundation of China , grant SHDC12010116 from the Shanghai United Developing Technology Project of Municipal Hospitals , the Key Clinical Program of the Ministry of Health (2010-2012), the Zhuo-Xue Project of Fudan University (K.-D.Y.), and grant 11QA1401400 from the Shanghai Committee of Science and Technology Fund for the 2011 Qimingxing Project (K.-D.Y.).
Role of the Sponsors: The funders had no role in the study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.