Advertisement
Mayo Clinic Proceedings Home

The 80th Anniversary of the Mayo Department of Ophthalmology

      Soon after Dr. Charles H. Mayo joined his father (Dr. William W. Mayo) and older brother (Dr. William J. Mayo) in the general practice of medicine and surgery in Rochester, Minnesota (1888), he set aside several hours each week to treat patients with eye, ear, nose, and throat problems. A refractionist and office assistant, Dr. Gertrude Booker, was appointed to assist Dr. Charlie in 1900. In 1906, Dr. Justus Matthews assumed the care of patients with rhinologic and laryngologie disorders. The practice of ophthalmology and otology was assigned to Dr. Carl Fisher in 1909. After the establishment of the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine (affiliated with the graduate school of the University of Minnesota) at Rochester in 1915, Dr. William J. Mayo organized separate, autonomous sections of ophthalmology and otorhinolaryngology for clinical and academic functions. Each section had its own chairperson, a custom that prevailed at his alma mater, the University of Michigan.
      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment

      Purchase one-time access:

      Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'

      Subscribe:

      Subscribe to Mayo Clinic Proceedings
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect