Subjects and Methods
Abbreviations:PAC (plasma aldosterone concentration), PRA (plasma renin)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Presidential address: painting background: primary aldosteronism, new clinical syndrome.J Lab Clin Med. 1955; 45: 3-17
- Normokalemic primary aldosteronism: a detectable cause of curable “essential” hypertension.JAMA. 1965; 193: 200-206
- Frequency of surgical treatment for hypertension in adults at the Mayo Clinic from 1973 through 1975.Mayo Clin Proc. 1977; 52: 549-555
- The effect of age on prevalence of secondary forms of hypertension in 4429 consecutively referred patients.J Hypertens. 1994; 12: 609-615
- Evidence that primary aldosteronism may not be uncommon: 12% incidence among antihypertensive drug trial volunteers.Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1993; 20: 296-298
- High incidence of primary aldosteronism in 199 patients referred with hypertension.Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1994; 21: 315-318
- High prevalence of primary aldosteronism in the Tayside hypertension clinic population.J Hum Hypertens. 2000; 14: 311-315
- Prevalence of primary aldosteronism among Asian hypertensive patients in Singapore.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 2854-2859
- Primary aldosteronism: a new understanding.Med J Aust. 1993; 158: 729-731
- Primary aldosteronism: revival of a syndrome [editorial].J Hypertens. 2001; 19: 363-366
- A screening test to identify aldosterone-producing adenoma by measuring plasma renin activity: results in hypertensive patients.Arch Intern Med. 1981; 141: 1589-1593
- Measurement of human arterial renin activity in some physiological and pathological states.Can Med Assoc J. 1964; 90: 215-220
- The control of aldosterone secretion in normal and hypertensive man: abnormal renin-aldosterone patterns in low renin hypertension.Am J Med. 1972; 53: 649-663
- Ratios as a size adjustment in morphometrics.Am J Phys Anthropol. 1993; 91: 441-468
- Fallacy of indexing renal and systemic hemodynamic measurements for body surface area.Am J Physiol. 1995; 268: R978-R988
- Fallacy of per-weight and per-surface area standards, and their relation to spurious correlation.J Appl Physiol. 1949; 2: 1-15
- C825T polymorphism of the G protein 3-subunit and antihypertensive response to a thiazide diuretic.Hypertension. 2001; 37: 739-743
- WH Freeman and Co, New York, NY1981: 454-560 (617–690.) Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. 2nd ed.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital: weekly clinicopathological exercises: normal reference laboratory values [published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 1999;340:1300].N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 1063-1072
- Cautions over the current epidemic of primary aldosteronism.Lancet. 2001; 357: 953-954
- Diagnosis under random conditions of all disorders of the reninangiotensin-aldosterone axis, including primary hyperaldosteronism.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1991; 73: 952-957
- Plasma aldosterone-renin interrelationships in various forms of essential hypertension: studies using a rapid assay of plasma aldosterone.Am J Cardiol. 1973; 32: 554-561
- The diagnosis of primary aldosteronism and separation of two major subtypes.Arch Intern Med. 1993; 153: 2125-2129
- Primary aldosteronism: a common and curable form of hypertension.Cardiol Rev. 1999; 7: 207-214
- Renin system analysis: a rational method for the diagnosis and treatment of the individual patient with hypertension.Am J Hypertens. 1998; 11: 894-896
- Vasoconstriction-volume analysis for understanding and treating hypertension: the use of renin and aldosterone profiles.Am J Med. 1973; 55: 261-274
- Regulation of aldosterone secretion in primary aldosteronism.Horm Metab Res. 1975; 7: 418-424
This study was supported in part by US Public Health Service grants R01-HL53330, M01-RR00585, and M01-RR00039 and funds from the Mayo Foundation.
For editorial comment, see page 875.