PARTICIPANTS AND METHODS
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Methamphetamine Use, Abuse and Dependence 2002, 2003 and 2004. US Dept of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD2005
- Imipramine for the treatment of cocaine and methamphetamine dependence.J Addict Dis. 1994; 13: 201-216
- An exploratory study: the use of paroxetine for methamphetamine craving.J Psychoactive Drugs. 2002; 34: 301-304
- Safety and efficacy of gamma-vinyl GABA (GVG) for the treatment of methamphetamine and/or cocaine addiction.Synapse. 2005; 55: 122-125
- Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of baclofen and gabapentin for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006 Dec 1; 85 (Epub 2006 Jun 5.): 177-184
- Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of sertraline and contingency management for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006 Oct 15; 85 (Epub 2006 Apr 18.): 12-18
- Bupropion reduces methamphetamine-induced subjective effects and cue-induced craving.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006 Jul; 31 (Epub 2005 Nov 23.): 1537-1544
- Medications development: successes and challenges.Pharmacol Ther. 2005; 108: 94-108
- Enhanced sensitivity to benzodiazepines in active cocaine-abusing subjects: a PET study.Am J Psychiatry. 1998; 155: 200-206
- Neuroadaptations involved in amphetamine and cocaine addiction.Drug Alcohol Depend. 1998; 51: 141-153
- The role of benzodiazepine receptors in the acquisition and expression of behavioral sensitization to methamphetamine.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000; 65: 705-710
- The circuitry mediating cocaine-induced reinstatement of drug-seeking behavior.J Neurosci. 2001; 21: 8655-8663
- Molecular Neuropharmacology: A Foundation for Clinical Neuroscience. McGraw-Hill Medical Publishers, New York, NY2001
- GABA transmission in the nucleus accumbens is altered after withdrawal from repeated cocaine.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 3498-3505
- Frontal lobe GABA levels in cocaine dependence: a two-dimensional, J-resolved magnetic resonance spectroscopy study.Psychiatry Res. 2004; 130: 283-293
Smith SS, Kemelman M, Carpov A. Chronic methamphetamine administration increases GABAA receptor 4 subunit expression in hippocampus and cortex: reversal by flumazenil treatment [poster]. Presented at: Neurobiology of Addiction (C3) Meeting; Sante Fe, NM; February 25-March 1, 2007.
- Changes in GABAA receptor gene expression associated with selective alterations in receptor function and pharmacology after ethanol withdrawal.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 11711-11724
- Withdrawal from chronic intermittent ethanol treatment changes subunit composition, reduces synaptic function, and decreases behavioral responses to positive allosteric modulators of GABAA receptors.Mol Pharmacol. 2003; 63: 53-64
- GABAA receptor α4 subunit suppression prevents withdrawal properties of an endogenous steroid.Nature. 1998; 392: 926-930
Zhou X, Gong QH, Smith SS. Regulation of GABAA receptor α4 subunit expression in an in vitro model [program/poster 528.9/D53]. Poster presented at: 36th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience; Atlanta, GA; October 17, 2006.
- The mechanisms of action of gabapentin and pregabalin.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2006 Feb; 6 (Epub 2005 Dec 22.): 108-113
- Gabapentin inhibits presynaptic Ca(2+) influx and synaptic transmission in rat hippocampus and neocortex.Eur J Pharmacol. 2002; 449: 221-228
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2000
- Serum vitamin E, C and A status of the drug addicts undergoing detoxification: influence of drug habit, sexual practice and lifestyle factors.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001; 55: 1022-1027
- Combining Medication and Psychosocial Treatments for Addictions: The BRENDA Approach. Guilford Press, New York, NY2001
- Alcohol consumption measures.in: Allen JP Columbus M Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Rockville, MD1995: 55-73
- Statistical Methods. 8th ed. Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA1989
- Analysis of Messy Data. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY1992 (Designed Experiments; vol 1.)
- Cocaine dependence: a disease of the brain's reward centers.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2001; 21: 111-117
- Methamphetamine Treatment Project Corporate Authors. A multi-site comparison of psychosocial approaches for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence.Addiction. 2004; 99: 708-717
- Research findings on psychotherapy of addictive disorders.Am J Addict. 2003; 12: S19-S26
- Developments in the treatment of drug dependence.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2000; 13: 333-338
- Correlates of outpatient drug treatment drop-out among methamphetamine users.J Psychoactive Drugs. 2000; 32: 221-228
- Predictors of relapse after treatment for methamphetamine use.J Psychoactive Drugs. 2000; 32: 211-220
- Epidemiology and Treatment of Methamphetamine Abuse in California: A Regional Report. National Evaluation and Technical Assistance Center, Los Angeles, CA1999
- Implications of chronic methamphetamine use: a literature review.Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2005; 13: 141-154
- Methamphetamine dependence is associated with neurocognitive impairment in the initial phases of abstinence.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. Spring 2003; 15: 215-220
- Emerging research on methamphetamine.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2005; 18: 235-242
- Relapse prevention for alcohol and drug problems.in: Marlatt GA Donovan DM Relapse Prevention: Maintenance Strategies in the Treatment of Addictive Disorders. Guilford Press, New York, NY2005: 1-44
- What is controlled for in placebo-controlled trials [editorial]?.Mayo Clin Proc. 2005; 80: 1119-1121
This project was supported by an unrestricted grant from Hythiam, Inc, Los Angeles, CA, which licenses the Prometa treatment program to physicians.
The findings were presented in part at the 68th Annual Meeting of the College on Problems of Drug Dependence, Scottsdale, AZ, June 21, 2006.