- Miracle in Arkansas.Arkansas Times. July 3, 2006;
- Comatose man's brain rewired itself.Baltimore Sun. July 7, 2006;
- As man lay in coma-like state, his brain was busy rebuilding.Los Angeles Times. July 4, 2006;
- Clinical diagnosis of prolonged states of impaired consciousness in adults.Mayo Clin Proc. 2005; 80: 1037-1046
- The Vegetative State: Medical Facts, Ethical and Legal Dilemmas. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom2002
- Medical aspects of the persistent vegetative state: parts I and II [published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 1995;333:130].N Engl J Med. 1994; 330 (1572-1579.): 1499-1508
- Practice parameters: assessment and management of patients in the persistent vegetative state [summary statement].Neurology. 1995; 45: 1015-1018
- The minimally conscious state: defining the borders of consciousness.Prog Brain Res. 2005; 150: 381-395
- The Terri Schiavo saga: the making of a tragedy and lessons learned.Mayo Clin Proc. 2005; 80: 1449-1460
- The Wendland case—with-drawing life support from incompetent patients who are not terminally ill.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1489-1493
The man who slept 19 years. Discovery Health Channel, August 9, 2005.
- Possible axonal regrowth in late recovery from the minimally conscious state.Clin Invest. 2006; 116: 2005-2011
Wijdicks EFM, Wijdicks MF. Coverage of coma in headlines of US newspapers from 2001-2005. Mayo Clin Proc. In press.
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of neural repair after stroke: making waves.Ann Neurol. 2006; 59: 735-742
- The neural correlate of (un)awareness: lessons from the vegetative state.Trends Cogn Sci. 2005 Dec 9; 9 (Epub 2005 Nov 3.): 556-559
- fMRI reveals large-scale network activation in minimally conscious patients.Neurology. 2005; 64: 514-523