PATIENTS AND METHODS
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement [published corrections appear in Circulation. 2005;112 (17):e297 and 2005;112 (17): e298].Circulation. 2005 Oct 25; 112 (Epub 2005 Sep 12.): 2735-2752
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome defined by the International Diabetes Federation among adults in the U.S.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2745-2749
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.JAMA. 2002; 287: 356-359
- Metabolic syndrome and risk of incident cardiovascular events and death: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 49 (Epub 2007 Jan 12.): 403-414
- American College of Endocrinology position statement on the insulin resistance syndrome.Endocr Pract. 2003; 9: 237-252
- Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2005; 293: 43-53
- Physical activity energy expenditure predicts progression toward the metabolic syndrome independently of aerobic fitness in middle-aged healthy Caucasians: the Medical Research Council Ely Study.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 1195-1200
Florez H, Tremposa M, Orchard TJ, et al. Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Metabolic Syndrome increases diabetes risk in IGT subjects: Effects across Diabetes Prevention Program Interventions [abstract 1299-P]. Presented at: American Diabetes Association 67th Scientific Session. Chicago, IL; 2007.
- Preventing diabetes in the clinical setting.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 84-93
- Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity: Consensus Development Conference Panel.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 956-961
- Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2683-2693
- History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Mayo Clin Proc. 1996; 71: 266-274
- Determination of ideal body weight for drug dosage calculations.Am J Hosp Pharm. 1983; 40: 1016-1019
- Abdominal adiposity in U.S. adults: prevalence and trends, 1960-2000.Prev Med. 2004; 39: 197-206
- Predictors of prolonged hospital stay following open and laparoscopic gastric bypass for morbid obesity: body mass index, length of surgery, sleep apnea, asthma, and the metabolic syndrome.Obes Surg. 2004; 14: 1042-1050
- Long-term control of type 2 diabetes mellitus and the other major components of the metabolic syndrome after biliopancreatic diversion in patients with BMI < 35 kg/m2.Obes Surg. 2007; 17: 185-192
- Weight loss after Swedish Adjustable Gastric Banding: relationships to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.Obes Surg. 2002; 12: 841-845
- Changes in insulin sensitivity in morbidly obese patients with or without metabolic syndrome after gastric bypass.Obes Surg. 2006; 16: 1520-1525
- Resolution of diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and a variant of biliopancreatic diversion in patients with morbid obesity.Obes Surg. 2007; 17: 176-184
- Metabolic syndrome: yet another co-morbidity gastric bypass helps cure.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2006; 2: 48-51
- Surgically-induced weight loss significantly improves nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the metabolic syndrome.Ann Surg. 2005; 242: 610-617
- Insulin resistance, inflammation, and the metabolic syndrome following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery in severely obese subjects.Diabetes Care. 2007 Jul; 30 (Epub 2007 Apr 27.): 1906-1908
- Reduction in predicted coronary heart disease risk after substantial weight reduction after bariatric surgery.Am J Cardiol. 2007 Jan 15; 99 (Epub 2006 Nov 16.): 222-226
- Effect of gastric bypass operation on Framingham and actual risk of cardiovascular events in class II to III obesity.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 204: 776-782
- Effect of weight loss on predicted cardiovascular risk: change in cardiac risk after bariatric surgery.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007; 15: 772-784
- Death rates and causes of death after bariatric surgery for Pennsylvania residents, 1995 to 2004.Arch Surg. 2007; 142: 923-928
- Impact of gastric bypass operation on survival: a population-based analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2004; 199: 543-551
- Surgery decreases long-term mortality, morbidity, and health care use in morbidly obese patients.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 416-423
- Long-term mortality after gastric bypass surgery.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 753-761
- Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 741-752
- Body composition and metabolic changes following bariatric surgery: effects on fat mass, lean mass and basal metabolic rate: six months to one-year follow-up.Obes Surg. 2006; 16: 1602-1608
- Report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute-National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Working Group on the pathophysiology of obesity-associated cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2002; 105: 2923-2928
Dr Romero-Corral is supported by a postdoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association. Dr Somers is supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health (HL-65176, HL-70302, HL-73211, and M01-RR00585). Dr Lopez-Jimenez is a recipient of a Clinical Scientist Development Award from the American Heart Association.
Presented in part at the 68th Annual Scientific Session of the American Diabetes Association, San Francisco, CA, June 6-10, 2008 (Abstract #1747-P).