PATIENTS AND METHODS
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Guidelines for deciding care of critically ill or dying patients.Pediatrics. 1979; 64: 17-23
- Incorporating palliative care into critical care education: principles, challenges, and opportunities.Crit Care Med. 1999; 27: 2005-2013
- Ethical considerations at the end of life in the intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2007; 35: S85-S94
- End-of-life care in the intensive care unit: a research agenda.Crit Care Med. 2001; 29: 2001-2006
- Challenges in end-of-life care in the ICU: statement of the 5th International Consensus Conference in Critical Care: Brussels, Belgium, April 2003.Intensive Care Med. 2004; 30: 770-784
In the Matter of Westchester County Medical Center on Behalf of Mary O'Connor, Appellant. Helen A. Hall et al., Respondents. 72 N.Y.2d517, 531 N.E.2 507, 534 N.Y.S.2d 886 (N. Y. 1988;[Oct]:14). http://www.compassionandsupport.org/pdfs/legislation/WestchesterCountyMed%20Center.pdf. Accessed April 23, 2009.
- Report of 255 clinical ethics consultations and review of the literature.Mayo Clin Proc. 2007; 82: 686-691
- Consultations in clinical ethics-issues and questions in 27 cases.West J Med. 1987; 146: 633-637
- An ethics consultation service in a teaching hospital: utilization and evaluation.JAMA. 1988; 260: 808-811
- Development of a hospital ethics committee: lessons from five years of case consultations.Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 1992 Winter; 1: 41-50
- Effectiveness of an ethics consultation service.J Fam Pract. 1993; 36: 49-53
- Salt Lake City VA Medical Center's first 150 ethics committee case consultations: what we have learned (so far).HEC Forum. 1997; 9: 147-158
- Activities of an ethics consultation service in a tertiary military medical center.Mil Med. 2000; 165: 528-532
- Clinical ethics, information, and communication: review of 31 cases from a clinical ethics committee.J Med Ethics. 2005; 31: 73-77
- Community hospital ethics consultation: evaluation and comparison with a university hospital service.Am J Med. 1992; 92: 346-351
- A national survey of U.S. internists' experiences with ethical dilemmas and ethics consultation.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19: 251-258
- Ethics consultation in United States hospitals: a national survey.Am J Bioeth. 2007; 7: 13-25
- Biases in how physicians choose to withdraw life-support.Lancet. 1993; 342: 642-646
- Effect of ethics consultations on nonbeneficial life-sustaining treatments in the intensive care setting: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1166-1172
- Ethics committees and decisions to limit care: the experience at the Massachusetts General Hospital.JAMA. 1988; 260: 803-807
- Impact of ethics consultations in the intensive care setting: a randomized, controlled trial.Crit Care Med. 2000; 28: 3920-3924
Funding for this research was provided by the Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University, New York, NY.
Dr Wahlander is on the speaker's bureau of Hospira, the company that sells dexmedetomidine (Precedex), and receives honoraria less than $10,000 per year.