Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:CRP (C-reactive protein), DXA (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry), HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c), HDL-C (high-density lipoprotein cholesterol), HEI (Healthy Eating Index), HOMA (homeostasis model assessment), HR (hazard ratio), LDL-C (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol), MEC (mobile examination center), MVPA (moderate to vigorous physical activity), NCHS (National Center for Health Statistics), NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), PIR (income to poverty ratio), WBC (white blood cell)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2224-2260
- Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction: the American Heart Association's strategic Impact Goal through 2020 and beyond.Circulation. 2010; 121: 586-613
- Determining the importance of meeting muscle-strengthening activity guidelines: is the behavior or the outcome of the behavior (strength) a more important determinant of all-cause mortality?.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 166-174
- Health-enhancing multibehavior and medical multimorbidity.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 624-632
- Combined effects of accelerometer-assessed physical activity and dietary behavior on all-cause mortality in a national prospective cohort study.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 201: 258-259
- Physical activity and dietary behavior in US adults and their combined influence on health.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 190-198
- Combined association of physical activity and diet with C-reactive protein among smokers.J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2015; 14: 51
- Health behavior combinations and their association with inflammation.Am J Health Promot. 2015;
- Low-risk lifestyle, coronary calcium, cardiovascular events, and mortality: results from MESA.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 178: 12-21
- Combined impact of lifestyle factors on mortality: prospective cohort study in US women.BMJ. 2008; 337: a1440
Loprinzi PD. Accelerometer-determined physical activity and all-cause mortality in a national prospective cohort study of hypertensive adults. Journal of Hypertension. 2016 [epub-ahead-print]
- Leisure-time screen-based sedentary behavior and leukocyte telomere length: implications for a new leisure-time screen-based sedentary behavior mechanism.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 786-790
- Accelerometer-assessed physical activity and objectively determined dual sensory impairment in US adults.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 690-696
- Objectively measured physical activity and inflammatory markers among US adults with diabetes: implications for attenuating disease progression.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 942-951
- The technology of accelerometry-based activity monitors: current and future.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005; 37: S490-S500
- Effect of physical activity and sedentary behavior on serum prostate-specific antigen concentrations: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2003-2006.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 11-21
- Exercise and cognitive function: a randomized controlled trial examining acute exercise and free-living physical activity and sedentary effects.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 450-460
- Physical activity in the United States measured by accelerometer.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: 181-188
- Association between biologic outcomes and objectively measured physical activity accumulated in >/= 10-minute bouts and <10-minute bouts.Am J Health Promot. 2013; 27: 143-151
- Accumulated short bouts of physical activity are associated with reduced premature all-cause mortality: implications for physician promotion of physical activity and revision of current US government physical activity guidelines.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1168-1169
- Development and Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005: Technical Report.Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, US Department of Agriculture, Alexandria, VA2007
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, US Department of Agriculture. Healthy Eating Index. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/HealthyEatingIndex-2005report.htm. Accessed January 1, 2016.
Bowman SA, Friday JE, Moshfegh A. MyPyramid Equivalents Database, 2.0 for USDA Survey Foods, 2003-2004. http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/80400530/pdf/mped/mped2_doc.pdf. Accessed January 1, 2016.
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, US Department of Agriculture. Archived projects. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/OtherProjects.htm. Accessed January 1, 2016.
National Cancer Institute. HEI tools for researchers: sample SAS code to create HEI-2005 scores. http://riskfactor.cancer.gov/tools/hei/tools.html. Accessed January 1, 2016.
- Healthy lifestyle behaviors and all-cause mortality among adults in the United States.Prev Med. 2012; 55: 23-27
- Optimal serum cotinine levels for distinguishing cigarette smokers and nonsmokers within different racial/ethnic groups in the United States between 1999 and 2004.Am J Epidemiol. 2009; 169: 236-248
National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: technical documentation for the dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) multiple imputation data files. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/dxa/dxa_techdoc.pdf. Accessed January 1, 2016.
- Comparisons of percentage body fat, body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-stature ratio in adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 500-508
- Multiple imputation of missing dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry data in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 260-276
- Sports Nutrition: An Introduction to Energy Production and Performance.2nd ed. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2009
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: 2003-2004 lab methods. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2003-2004/lab_methods_03_04.htm. Accessed January 1, 2016.
National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: 2005-2006 lab methods. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/lab_methods_05_06.htm. Accessed January 1, 2016.
National Cancer Institute. Reweight.pam and adhere.pam programs http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/nhanes_pam/reweight.html. Accessed January 1, 2016.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. When and How to Construct Weights When Combining Survey Cycles. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/tutorials/nhanes/SurveyDesign/Weighting/Task2.htm. Accessed January 1, 2016.
US Census Bureau. Current population survey—definitions and explanations. Vol. 2010, n.d. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cps/cpsdef.html. Published July 5, 2010. Accessed January 1, 2016.
- Effects of socioeconomic status and acculturation on accelerometer-measured moderate-to-vigorous physical activity among Mexican American adolescents: findings from NHANES 2003-2004.J Phys Act Health. 2012; 9: 1155-1162
- The impact of marijuana use on glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance among US adults.Am J Med. 2013; 126: 583-589
- Relative sensitivity and specificity of salivary and serum cotinine in identifying tobacco-smoking status of self-reported nonsmokers and smokers of tobacco and/or marijuana.Arch Environ Health. 1989; 44: 53-58
- Healthy lifestyle characteristics among adults in the United States, 2000.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 854-857
- Absolute and attributable risks of cardiovascular disease incidence in relation to optimal and borderline risk factors: comparison of African American with white subjects: Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 573-579