Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term home oxygen therapy in chronic hypoxic cor pulmonale complicating chronic bronchitis and emphysema.Lancet. 1981; 1: 681-686
- Continuous or nocturnal oxygen therapy in hypoxemic chronic obstructive lung disease: a clinical trial.Ann Intern Med. 1980; 93: 391-398
- The effects of a smoking cessation intervention on 14.5-year mortality.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 233-239
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187: 347-365
- Indications for long term oxygen therapy: a reappraisal.Monaldi Arch Chest Dis. 1999; 54: 178-182
- Long term oxygen therapy.Chest. 2011; 139: 430-434
- The cost of treating COPD patients with long-term oxygen therapy in a French population.Chest. 1996; 110: 411-416
- Variability in the rate of prescription and cost of domiciliary oxygen therapy in Australia.Med J Aust. 2009; 191: 549-553
- Long-term oxygen treatment in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: recommendations for future research: an NHLBI workshop report.Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2006; 174: 373-378
Ahrens M. National Fire Protection Association. Fires and Burns Involving Home Medical Oxygen. www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/os.oxygen.pdf. Accessed July 8, 2014.
- Domiciliary oxygen and smoking: an explosive combination.Burns. 1998; 24: 658-660
- Home oxygen therapy: adjunct or risk factor?.J Burn Care Rehabil. 2003; 24: 403-406
- Smoking and home oxygen therapy a preventable public health hazard.J Burn Care Res. 2008; 29: 119-122
- A hazard of home oxygen therapy.J Burn Care Rehabil. 2001; 22: 71-74
- Review of prescription of domiciliary long term oxygen therapy in Scotland.Thorax. 1995; 50: 1103-1105
- Randomised trial of ambulatory oxygen in oxygen-dependent COPD.Eur Respir J. 2005; 25: 1032-1038
- The impact of the Danish Oxygen Registry on adherence to guidelines for long term oxygen therapy in COPD patients.Respir Med. 2006; 100: 218-225
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Medicare Program-General Information: Overview. November 2010. http://www.cms.gov/MedicareGenInfo. Accessed January 10, 2014.
Research Data Assistance Center. Medicare Data File Descriptions. October 1, 2010. http://www.resdac.umn.edu/Medicare/file_descriptions.asp. Accessed January 10, 2014.
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Expert agreement in Current Procedural Terminology evaluation and management coding.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 316-320
- Domiciliary oxygen for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; : CD001744
- Oxygen therapy for patients with COPD: current evidence and the long-term oxygen treatment trial.Chest. 2010; 138: 179-187
- Effect of long term oxygen therapy on survival in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with moderate hypoxaemia.Thorax. 1997; 52: 674-679
- A randomized trial of nocturnal oxygen therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients.Eur Respir J. 1999; 14: 1002-1008
- Oxygen in respiratory care: a personal perspective from 40 years in the field.Respir Care. 2013; 58: 196-204
- A rationale for significant cost savings in patients suffering home oxygen burns: despite many comorbid conditions, only modest care is necessary.J Burn Care Res. 2012; 33: e268-e274
- Characteristics of patients with injury secondary to smoking on home oxygen therapy transferred intubated to a burn center.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 218: 1182-1186
- Brother, have you got a light? assessing the need for intubation in patients sustaining burn injury secondary to home oxygen therapy.J Burn Care Res. 2012; 33: e280-e285
- Fatal fires associated with smoking during long term oxygen therapy - Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma, 2000-2007.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 852-854
- Got a match? home oxygen therapy in current smokers.Thorax. 2006; 61: 374-375
Veterans Health Administration National Center for Ethics in Health Care. Ethical considerations that arise when a home care patient on long term oxygen therapy continues to smoke. 2010 1-15. www.ethics.va.gov/…/NEC_Report_20100301_Smoking_while_on_LTOT. Accessed July 8, 2014.
- Fire fatality and alcohol intake: analysis of key factors.J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2011; 72: 731-736
Potential Competing Interests: Dr Sharma served on the advisory board of Sunovion Pharmaceuticals. The remaining authors have reported no potential conflicts of interest related to the content of this article.
Grant Support: This work was supported by grants K05-CA134923 (J.S.G.) and 5P30AG024832 (J.S.G.) from the National Institutes of Health and by grants R01-HS020642 (Y.-F.K.) and R24HS022134 (J.S.G.) from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality .