Patients and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:FDA (Food and Drug Administration), DSST (Digit Symbol Substitution Test)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Mayo Clinic Proceedings
FDA Drug Safety Communication: important safety label changes to cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. US FDA website. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm293101.htm. Accessed August 15, 2013.
- Association between statin use and Alzheimer’s disease.Neuroepidemiology. 2004; 23: 94-98
- Do statins reduce risk of incident dementia and Alzheimer disease?.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 217-224
- Statins, risk of dementia, and cognitive function: secondary analysis of the Ginkgo Evaluation of Memory study.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2012; 21: 436-444
- Statins and serum cholesterol’s associations with incident dementia and mild cognitive impairment.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2011; 65: 949-957
- Statin-associated adverse cognitive effects: survey results from 171 patients.Pharmacotherapy. 2009; 29: 800-811
- Simvastatin-associated memory loss.Pharmacotherapy. 2001; 21: 767-769
- Statin-associated memory loss: analysis of 60 case reports and review of the literature.Pharmacotherapy. 2003; 23: 871-880
- Changes in memory function and neuronal activation associated with atorvastatin therapy.Pharmacotherapy. 2010; 30: 236e-240e
- Statins and cognitive functioning in the elderly: a population-based study.J Alzheimers Dis. 2010; 21: 95-102
- Effects of lovastatin on cognitive function and psychological well-being.Am J Med. 2000; 108: 538-546
- Randomized trial of the effects of simvastatin on cognitive functioning in hypercholesterolemic adults.Am J Med. 2004; 117: 823-829
- Pravastatin and cognitive function in the elderly: results of the PROSPER study.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 85-90
- The controversies of statin therapy: weighing the evidence.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 875-881
- Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 1: CD004816
- Healthy men should not take statins.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1491-1492
Rosenberg M. Do you really need that statin? this expert says no. Huffpost Healthy Living: The Blog. The Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martha-rosenberg/statins_b_1818370.html. Accessed August 15, 2013.
Parker-Pope T. A heart helper may come at a price for the brain. The Well Column. The New York Times. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/help-for-the-heart-comes-with-a-price-for-the-brain/?_r=0. Accessed August 15, 2013.
- Statins and the risk of dementia.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1627-1631
- Decreased prevalence of Alzheimer disease associated with 3-hydroxy-3-methyglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors.Arch Neurol. 2000; 57: 1439-1443
- Statin use and the risk of incident dementia: the Cardiovascular Health Study.Arch Neurol. 2005; 62: 1047-1051
- MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20,536 high-risk individuals: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 7-22
- Pravastatin in elderly individuals at risk of vascular disease (PROSPER): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1623-1630
- Use of lipid-lowering drugs in older adults with and without dementia: a community-based epidemiological study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 1852-1856
- Prevention and treatment of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease by statins: a meta-analysis.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2007; 23: 194-201
- Statins in the prevention of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease: a meta-analysis of observational studies and an assessment of confounding.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013; 22: 345-358
Song Y, Nie H, Xu Y, Zhang L, Wu Y. Association of statin use with risk of dementia: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies [published online ahead of print March 6, 2013]. Geriatr Gerontol Int. doi:10.1111/ggi.12044.
- Optimal search strategies for retrieving scientifically strong studies of treatment from Medline: analytical survey.BMJ. 2005; 330: 1179-1182
- Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale.3rd ed. Psychological Corp, San Antonio, TX1997
Higgins J. Chapter 8: assessing risk of bias in included studies: Table 8.5 a. In: Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. http://handbook.cochrane.org/. Accessed August 6, 2012.
Wells GA, Shea B, O’Connell D, et al. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.htm. Accessed August 15, 2013.
- Do cholesterol-lowering agents affect brain activity? a comparison of simvastatin, pravastatin, and placebo in healthy volunteers.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1994; 37: 231-236
- Central nervous system effects of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors: lovastatin and pravastatin on sleep and cognitive performance in patients with hypercholesterolemia.J Clini Pharmacol. 1994; 34: 989-996
- Effects of treatment with simvastatin and pravastatin on cognitive function in patients with hypercholesterolaemia.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995; 39: 333-336
- Effects of treatment with lovastatin and pravastatin on daytime cognitive performance.Clin Cardiol. 1995; 18: 209-214
- Effects of atorvastatin on higher functions.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2006; 62: 259-265
- Effect of atorvastatin on cognitive function in patients from the Lipid Lowering and Onset of Renal Disease (LORD) trial.Pharmacotherapy. 2007; 27: 183-190
- Atovastatin, diabetic dyslipidemia, and cognitive functioning.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1250-1251
- Effects of lovastatin and pravastatin on cognitive function in military aircrew.Aviat Space Environ Med. 2001; 72: 805-812
- Effect of pharmacologic lipid lowering on health-related quality of life in older persons: results from the Cholesterol Reduction in Seniors Program (CRISP) Pilot Study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 8-14
- The association of statin use and statin type and cognitive performance: analysis of the Reasons for Geographic And Racial Differences in Stroke (REGARDS) study.Clin Cardiol. 2010; 33: 280-288
- Effect of statins on a wide range of health outcomes: a cohort study validated by comparison with randomized trials.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2009; 67: 99-109
- The impact of the use of statins on the prevalence of dementia and the progression of cognitive impairment.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: 414-418
- Serum lipoprotein levels, statin use, and cognitive function in older women.Arch Neurol. 2002; 59: 378-384
- Use of lipid-lowering agents, indication bias, and the risk of dementia in community-dwelling elderly people.Arch Neurol. 2002; 59: 223-227
- APOE genotype, cholesterol level, lipid-lowering treatment, and dementia: the Three-City Study.Neurology. 2005; 64: 1531-1538
- Serum total cholesterol, statins and cognition in non-demented elderly.Neurobiol Aging. 2009; 30: 1006-1009
- Statins and cognitive function in the elderly: the Cardiovascular Health Study.Neurology. 2005; 65: 1388-1394
- Cholesterol and cognitive performance in normal controls and the influence of elective statin use after conversion to mild cognitive impairment: results in a clinical trial cohort.Neurodegener Dis. 2010; 7: 183-186
- Statin therapy and risk of dementia in the elderly: a community-based prospective cohort study.Neurology. 2004; 63: 1624-1628
- Simvastatin is associated with a reduced incidence of dementia and Parkinson’s disease.BMC Med. 2007; 5: 20
- Age-varying association between statin use and incident Alzheimer’s disease.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1311-1317
- Statins, incident Alzheimer disease, change in cognitive function, and neuropathology.Neurology. 2008; 70: 1795-1802
- Use of statins and incidence of dementia and cognitive impairment without dementia in a cohort study.Neurology. 2008; 71: 344-350
- Statins are associated with a reduced risk of Alzheimer disease regardless of lipophilicity: the Rotterdam Study.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009; 80: 13-17
- Association of statin use with cognitive decline in elderly African Americans.Neurology. 2007; 69: 1873-1880
- Reduced risk of incident AD with elective statin use in a clinical trial cohort.Curr Alzheimer Res. 2008; 5: 416-421
- Lipid lowering agents, cognitive decline, and dementia: the Three-City Study.J Alzheimers Dis. 2012; 30: 629-637
- Cardiovascular event reduction and adverse events among subjects attaining low-density lipoprotein cholesterol <50 mg/dl with rosuvastatin: the JUPITER trial (Justification for the Use of Statins in Prevention: an Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: 1666-1675