Participants and Methods
Abbreviations and Acronyms:BBF (blood and body fluid), MVC (motor vehicle crash), QOL (quality of life)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The well-being of physicians.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 513-519
- Resident burnout.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2880-2889
- Burnout and suicidal ideation among U.S. medical students.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 334-341
- Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 995-1000
- Quality of life, burnout, educational debt, and medical knowledge among internal medicine residents.JAMA. 2011; 306: 952-960
- Kohn L.T. Corrigan J.M. Donaldson M.S. To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. National Academy Press, Washington, DC1999
- Effect of reducing interns' work hours on serious medical errors in intensive care units.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1838-1848
- Impact of extended-duration shifts on medical errors, adverse events, and attentional failures.PLoS Med. 2006; 3: e487
- Effects of health care provider work hours and sleep deprivation on safety and performance.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2007; 33: 7-18
- Making health care safer: a critical analysis of patient safety practices.(2001)Accessed April 5, 2012)
- Association of perceived medical errors with resident distress and empathy: a prospective longitudinal study.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1071-1078
- Association of resident fatigue and distress with perceived medical errors.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1294-1300
- Rates of medication errors among depressed and burnt out residents: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2008; 336: 488-491
- Burnout and self-reported patient care in an internal medicine residency program.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 358-367
- Is the professional satisfaction of general internists associated with patient satisfaction?.J Gen Intern Med. 2000; 15: 122-128
- Resident Duty Hours: Enhancing Sleep, Supervision, and Safety.Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC2008Accessed April 5, 2012)
- Extended work shifts and the risk of motor vehicle crashes among interns.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 125-134
- Extended work duration and the risk of self-reported percutaneous injuries in interns.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1055-1062
- Fatigue increases the risk of injury form sharp devices in medical trainees: results from a case-crossover study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 10-17
- Distinguishing between excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue: toward improved detection and treatment.J Psychosom Res. 2003; 54: 61-69
- Distinguishing sleepiness and fatigue: focus on definition and measurement.Sleep Med Rev. 2006; 10: 63-76
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth Sleepiness Scale.Sleep. 1991; 14: 540-545
- Reliability and factor analysis of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale.Sleep. 1992; 15: 376-381
- A patient-level meta-analytic investigation of the prognostic significance of baseline quality of life (QOL) for overall survival (OS) among 3,704 patients participating in 24 North Central Cancer Treatment Group (NCCTG) and Mayo Clinic Cancer Center (MC) oncology clinical trials.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 9515
- Health state valuations from the general public using the visual analogue scale.Qual Life Res. 1996; 5: 521-531
- The well-being and personal wellness promotion strategies of medical oncologists in the North Central Cancer Treatment Group.Oncology. 2005; 68: 23-32
- Impacting quality of life for patients with advanced cancer with a structured multidisciplinary intervention: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 635-642
- QualityMetric Inc, Lincoln, RI2001 How to Score and Interpret Single-Item Health Status Measures: A Manual for Users of the SF-8 Health Survey.
- Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA1996 Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual. 3rd ed.
- Burnout and internal medicine resident work-hour restrictions.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 2595-2600
- Evolution of sleep quantity, sleep deprivation, mood disturbances, empathy, and burnout among interns.Acad Med. 2006; 81: 82-85
- Utility of a new procedure for diagnosing mental disorders in primary care: The PRIME-MD 1000 study.JAMA. 1994; 272: 1749-1756
- Case-finding instruments for depression.J Gen Intern Med. 1997; 12: 439-445
- Is this patient clinically depressed?.JAMA. 2002; 287: 1160-1170
- Clarendon Press, Oxford, England1994 Analysis of Longitudinal Data.
- Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models.Biometrika. 1986; 73: 13-22
- Estimate of the annual number of percutaneous injuries among hospital-based healthcare workers in the United States, 1997-1998.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 556-562
- Management of needlestick injuries: a house officer who has a needlestick.JAMA. 2012; 307: 75-84
- Patient safety: fatigue among clinicians and the safety of patients.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1249-1255
- New requirements for resident duty hours.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1112-1114
- Physician response to surveys: a review of the literature.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20: 61-67
- The use of sleep aids among emergency medicine residents: a web based survey.BMC Health Serv Res. 2006; 6: 136
- Work patterns and fatigue-related risk among junior doctors.Occup Environ Med. 2007; 64: 733-738
See editorial comment, page 1135
Grant Support: This work was supported by the Mayo Clinic Department of Medicine Program on Physician Well-being .
Role of the Sponsor: The funding source played no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; and preparation of the manuscript.